🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Charleston Hotel ink stamp.

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
Found this brass advertising ink stamp a few years back in the low country. Can't find much info. on it other than it was bought by p.w. seyle who supposedly was a freed slave. That's all they could find when I spoke to the charleston historical society. Where would be the best place to find information on something like this?
Thanks.
20230101_192500.jpg

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Very neat item! From what I found I don't think P.W. Seyle was a freed slave. Philip Wesner Seyle (1815-1866) shows up as white on the census records. I think this piece would be circa 1850s b/c Johnson's Hotel burned in an 1857 Charleston fire. There is a directory listing from 1854 for the establishment.

Findagrave for P.W. Seyle

Attachments

• JohnsonsHotela.jpg
    JohnsonsHotela.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 28
  • JohnsonsHotel2a.jpg
    JohnsonsHotel2a.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 7

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find but, as said above. unless you have mirrored the image in Photoshop, how would this work as an ink stamp since anything stamped with it would have the lettering back to front? Is there anything on the back which gives a clue to usage as something other than an ink stamp?

There’s a “P.W. Seyle” listed as “Clerk, Johnson’s Hotel” and resident at King Street in the 1849 Charleston City Directory and also in the 1851 directory. By 1854 he’s listed as the proprietor for the hotel, reopened after refurbishment:

Seyle.jpg

I would assume that this is Philip Wesner Seyle, Senior, born on 14th September 1815 in Charleston, SC, the eighth child of Samuel Seyle and Mary Susannah Wesner Seyle. On 17th May 1848 he married Harriett Clayton Johnson in Charleston and then moved to Greenville SC in 1860. There’s a subsequent record of him being proprietor of the old Williamston Hotel in Williamston, SC and he died in Williamston on 28th July 1866 at the age of 50.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
Cool find but, as said above. unless you have mirrored the image in Photoshop, how would this work as an ink stamp since anything stamped with it would have the lettering back to front? Is there anything on the back which gives a clue to usage as something other than an ink stamp?

There’s a “P.W. Seyle” listed as “Clerk, Johnson’s Hotel” and resident at King Street in the 1849 Charleston City Directory and also in the 1851 directory. By 1854 he’s listed as the proprietor for the hotel, reopened after refurbishment:

View attachment 2062252

I would assume that this is Philip Wesner Seyle, Senior, born on 14th September 1815 in Charleston, SC, the eighth child of Samuel Seyle and Mary Susannah Wesner Seyle. On 17th May 1848 he married Harriett Clayton Johnson in Charleston and then moved to Greenville SC in 1860. There’s a subsequent record of him being proprietor of the old Williamston Hotel in Williamston, SC and he died in Williamston on 28th July 1866 at the age of 50.
Thanks. Yes I reversed it before posting it.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2

View attachment 2062252

Thank you very much. I couldn't find anything on it and the Charleston historical society wasn't much help.

Upvote 3

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this brass advertising ink stamp a few years back in the low country. Can't find much info. on it other than it was bought by p.w. seyle who supposedly was a freed slave. That's all they could find when I spoke to the charleston historical society. Where would be the best place to find information on something like this?
Thanks.
View attachment 2062241
Nice piece! Great detail. What does the back look like?

Upvote 0

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
Thanks.
View attachment 2062241
Isn't this a decorative man's(souvenir?) large belt buckle? Circa 1950-89?

Upvote 0

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! As a matter of coincidence, I have a Seyle in my family's history as we had family in Charleston during the Revolution. At a quick glance on the find a grave page I did not see my releative BUT more than likely they are somehow connected.

Upvote 1

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions