🥇 BANNER Chasing the dozer's and popping cherries, First US Gold Coin 1853-0 + a little Seated

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well tonight I finally dug my first gold coin, and it only took 7+ years.
I have been hunting a street tear-out the last 2 weekends, and recently they have started bringing in the limestone.
I couldn't wait until the weekend to get back over there, because I was afraid the backfill would be completed due to heavy rains predicted for this Saturday.
I normally don't night hunt, but I just had to make sure I could hit this spot at least one more time.
So I get over there this afternoon, and sure enough they are moving dirt. The whole stretch is almost completely covered up with crushed stone.
The workers were gone at dark. This site is in the downtown district. So the chatter is bad.
I decided to run 18k to help with the noise. I do not run 18k a lot, but it helps quiet things down, and with all the talk about hi frequencies lately, I figured why not Max the 9" LF coil out.
So after about 30 minutes I get a seated dime, and that was enough to satisfy me, and make me feel the trip was worth while. Second seated dime from this site.
About 30 minutes later I get a low tone, and im thinking nickel. I have dug 3 shield nickels out of here, so far.
I open the hole and I see a tiny shiny disk. I didn't realize how small a one dollar gold coin would actually be, so I am thinking what is this tiny piece of junk. Then wait, no freakin way. Could it be?? Yes it is! 1853-0 One Dollar Gold Coin. Being from the south, I really love seeing that 0 mint-mark.
IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1567.JPG View attachment 1658223

A few cleaned up pics, to compare size with seated dime.
IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG

I just cant get over how small this one dollar gold piece is.
IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1578.JPG

A couple crusty nickels and an interesting lead seal.
IMG_1580.JPG

Had to stop off and pick up a 32" Shrimp Po-boy to celebrate with.
IMG_1572.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 175

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find but the Po-Boy really got my attention!! I cant get those up here

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you have no idea what you’re missing. French Bread is the best.

Unfortunately I do know what I'm missing. I spent a few days in NOLA and you guys have some of the best food In the Country.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately I do know what I'm missing. I spent a few days in NOLA and you guys have some of the best food In the Country.

Grizz there’s a old saying here in New Orleans, “If we put enough spices and cook it right we can make shoe leather taste good”

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Y'all be making me hungry

I SWEAR after this post I’m getting out of bed to go get on this very second. Lol

Po'boy: Debris, Roast Beef. What: “Debris” refers to shredded roast beef that's been moistened with pan drippings and/or simmered extra long so it absorbs more gravy and seasoning—resulting in tender, falling-apart meat with lots of juicy flavor. ... (See BBQ shrimp po'boy for more background on the NOLA po'boy.)

I’ll send you a pick in a couple of minutes lol IMG_0012.jpg

Last edited:

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! :occasion14: Seeing a gold coin in your plug must be amazing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread