🥇 BANNER Chasing the dozer's and popping cherries, First US Gold Coin 1853-0 + a little Seated

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well tonight I finally dug my first gold coin, and it only took 7+ years.
I have been hunting a street tear-out the last 2 weekends, and recently they have started bringing in the limestone.
I couldn't wait until the weekend to get back over there, because I was afraid the backfill would be completed due to heavy rains predicted for this Saturday.
I normally don't night hunt, but I just had to make sure I could hit this spot at least one more time.
So I get over there this afternoon, and sure enough they are moving dirt. The whole stretch is almost completely covered up with crushed stone.
The workers were gone at dark. This site is in the downtown district. So the chatter is bad.
I decided to run 18k to help with the noise. I do not run 18k a lot, but it helps quiet things down, and with all the talk about hi frequencies lately, I figured why not Max the 9" LF coil out.
So after about 30 minutes I get a seated dime, and that was enough to satisfy me, and make me feel the trip was worth while. Second seated dime from this site.
About 30 minutes later I get a low tone, and im thinking nickel. I have dug 3 shield nickels out of here, so far.
I open the hole and I see a tiny shiny disk. I didn't realize how small a one dollar gold coin would actually be, so I am thinking what is this tiny piece of junk. Then wait, no freakin way. Could it be?? Yes it is! 1853-0 One Dollar Gold Coin. Being from the south, I really love seeing that 0 mint-mark.
IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1567.JPG View attachment 1658223

A few cleaned up pics, to compare size with seated dime.
IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG

I just cant get over how small this one dollar gold piece is.
IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1578.JPG

A couple crusty nickels and an interesting lead seal.
IMG_1580.JPG

Had to stop off and pick up a 32" Shrimp Po-boy to celebrate with.
IMG_1572.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 175

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Congratulations on the hole-in-one holy grail of md'ing: A gold coin.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to everyone for the banner votes. It has been a week since digging that coin and I am still super excited about digging it. Going to be headed out tomorrow to do some shooting, and I cannnot wait. That site was covered up with limestone the day after I found the gold coin. I’m pretty bummed about that, but I’m sure glad I was able to go when I had the chance. Will be back to chasing dozers and looking for fresh dirt tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That cut Tree silver is definitely banner worthy in my book, more-so, than a gold coin.

Nnnaaahhhh, colonial coppers type-stuff is a dime a dozen on the east coast. But........ gold coins are the true sign of a "stud-muffin" ! :tongue3:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a Super Find, that GOLD Dollar coin...! WoW!
Certainly worthy Banner vote from me.., but I see you got it already, hands-down...!
- the Seated is sweet, too...!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too cool! That is tiny! Big congrats on the banner find.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on earning Banner, but the Mods posted the wrong picture.... it should have been a pic of that shrimp po boy!

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds and congrats on the banner.

I agree with Dave that Po Boy looks like a banner score also.

Pete

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well tonight I finally dug my first gold coin, and it only took 7+ years.
I have been hunting a street tear-out the last 2 weekends, and recently they have started bringing in the limestone.
I couldn't wait until the weekend to get back over there, because I was afraid the backfill would be completed due to heavy rains predicted for this Saturday.
I normally don't night hunt, but I just had to make sure I could hit this spot at least one more time.
So I get over there this afternoon, and sure enough they are moving dirt. The whole stretch is almost completely covered up with crushed stone.
The workers were gone at dark. This site is in the downtown district. So the chatter is bad.
I decided to run 18k to help with the noise. I do not run 18k a lot, but it helps quiet things down, and with all the talk about hi frequencies lately, I figured why not Max the 9" LF coil out.
So after about 30 minutes I get a seated dime, and that was enough to satisfy me, and make me feel the trip was worth while. Second seated dime from this site.
About 30 minutes later I get a low tone, and im thinking nickel. I have dug 3 shield nickels out of here, so far.
I open the hole and I see a tiny shiny disk. I didn't realize how small a one dollar gold coin would actually be, so I am thinking what is this tiny piece of junk. Then wait, no freakin way. Could it be?? Yes it is! 1853-0 One Dollar Gold Coin. Being from the south, I really love seeing that 0 mint-mark.
View attachment 1658221 View attachment 1658222 View attachment 1658223

A few cleaned up pics, to compare size with seated dime.
View attachment 1658224 View attachment 1658225

I just cant get over how small this one dollar gold piece is.
View attachment 1658226 View attachment 1658227

A couple crusty nickels and an interesting lead seal.
View attachment 1658228

Had to stop off and pick up a 32" Shrimp Po-boy to celebrate with.
View attachment 1658229

A HUGE CONGRATZ MAN!!!

You certainly found one heck of a site '+ skills' of-course.
A crusty Shield would have made my Month.
Sweet Seated & the Gold looks like a 'Working Man's Coin' should. The patina is awesome IMO.

It's especially nice seeing a friend dig anything cool esp, a BANNER!

Keep it up as long as you can & save the history at that '& other" sites.

P.S. That sandwich "drained all the Shrimp in the Gulf" LOL

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nnnaaahhhh, colonial coppers type-stuff is a dime a dozen on the east coast. But........ gold coins are the true sign of a "stud-muffin" !
Thanks Tom. We dig a little French colonial stuff from time to time.
It sure would be nice to be able to dig an American Colonial copper or silver, but im quite content with mid-19th century US gold.
Congrats on the long awaiting gold coin buddy, banner looks great
Thanks VMI. Took a long time for a gold coin and a banner. I normally don't dig a lot of gold, but this year has been my best gold year.
A HUGE CONGRATZ MAN!!!

You certainly found one heck of a site '+ skills' of-course.
A crusty Shield would have made my Month.
Sweet Seated & the Gold looks like a 'Working Man's Coin' should. The patina is awesome IMO.

It's especially nice seeing a friend dig anything cool esp, a BANNER!

Keep it up as long as you can & save the history at that '& other" sites.

P.S. That sandwich "drained all the Shrimp in the Gulf" LOL
Thanks Davers. I really need to find out where they are hauling all of the dirt to. They are cutting the road deep, and im afraid lots of good stuff is being hauled off.
Hopefully they will keep going with the tearout. I might have to start going after work in the evenings.
I got nice RR button and a few crusty Indians yesterday at another tearout they have been working on that is adjacent to this one, but that area has not been as productive. Lots of nickels and pennies. Anyhow I was really hoping you would see this find, almost Pm'd ya. I did dig one Minnie ball at one of these tear-outs. There has to be some local confederate relics under one of these streets.

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off, let me congratulate you on finding gold and on achieving your first BANNER on Tnet! :occasion14:

Secondly, where can I get me one of those 'Shrimp Po-boy' sandwiches, man that thing looks more delicious then a cold beer on a hot day! :laughing7:

Congrats on your Seated Dime as well,

Dave

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find with that 32 in po boy! id vote banner just for that. lol

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's freaking awesome. That coin would make my whole year.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one small coing for sure but well worth the effort!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread