🥇 BANNER Chasing the dozer's and popping cherries, First US Gold Coin 1853-0 + a little Seated

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well tonight I finally dug my first gold coin, and it only took 7+ years.
I have been hunting a street tear-out the last 2 weekends, and recently they have started bringing in the limestone.
I couldn't wait until the weekend to get back over there, because I was afraid the backfill would be completed due to heavy rains predicted for this Saturday.
I normally don't night hunt, but I just had to make sure I could hit this spot at least one more time.
So I get over there this afternoon, and sure enough they are moving dirt. The whole stretch is almost completely covered up with crushed stone.
The workers were gone at dark. This site is in the downtown district. So the chatter is bad.
I decided to run 18k to help with the noise. I do not run 18k a lot, but it helps quiet things down, and with all the talk about hi frequencies lately, I figured why not Max the 9" LF coil out.
So after about 30 minutes I get a seated dime, and that was enough to satisfy me, and make me feel the trip was worth while. Second seated dime from this site.
About 30 minutes later I get a low tone, and im thinking nickel. I have dug 3 shield nickels out of here, so far.
I open the hole and I see a tiny shiny disk. I didn't realize how small a one dollar gold coin would actually be, so I am thinking what is this tiny piece of junk. Then wait, no freakin way. Could it be?? Yes it is! 1853-0 One Dollar Gold Coin. Being from the south, I really love seeing that 0 mint-mark.
IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1567.JPG View attachment 1658223

A few cleaned up pics, to compare size with seated dime.
IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG

I just cant get over how small this one dollar gold piece is.
IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1578.JPG

A couple crusty nickels and an interesting lead seal.
IMG_1580.JPG

Had to stop off and pick up a 32" Shrimp Po-boy to celebrate with.
IMG_1572.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 175

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bonepicker, I bought an 1851-o $1 gold piece like yours about 3 years ago.... last night I took it out of the holder and checked it with my CTX3030 Minelab to see how it would ID. On my CTX it air tested at 12-10 or 12-11. A nickel on my machine is a 12-12. I was amazed how low it reads and yes, they are very tiny... Basssmann
Congrats on a fantastic find....

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any gold is a great find! Yes, the $1 coin is small. I buy the 1/10 oz $5 coins for gifts and they are small but affordable.
32" shrimp Po Boy would shoot my cholesterol through the roof for a month.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We live in the south what’s cholesterol?
Cholesterol? I thought Cholesterol was a female first name. i.e. Me and Tameka went to Cholesterol's house and ate gumbo for dinner last night.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This should make banner eventually. Mine did earlier this year but it took awhile. Yours is the first since then I believe but honestly I feel that my cut Mass silver was an as good if not better find. Congrats again

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This should make banner eventually. Mine did earlier this year but it took awhile. Yours is the first since then I believe but honestly I feel that my cut Mass silver was an as good if not better find. Congrats again

Congrats on your cut Mass that is awesome, but a small gold coin with the combination of digging such a small low tone object is twice as hard. Congratulations again on that cut.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't Cholesterol one of the basic food groups? Like Beer?

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We live in the south what’s cholesterol?

Yes, but something my doctor raises hell about. Thought after I had the gallbladder out I was immune to that. Like the sign seen recently here in the south, "if it ain't fried, it ain't food".

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, but something my doctor raises hell about. Thought after I had the gallbladder out I was immune to that. Like the sign seen recently here in the south, "if it ain't fried, it ain't food".

Lol man you ain’t lying I have to come to grips with the fact I’ll die from fried shrimp and fried oyster Poboys. And let’s not even bring up the fried fish plates.

Thinking about it more we don’t blink a eye putting a stick of butter into ingredients for a meal that’ll “make you wanna slap your momma” as we say down here.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Toasted. I feel the same way. Everyone likes gold coins, and I really thought this one would have hit by now.
There are other great finds that do not get the attention a gold coin normally gets.
That cut Tree silver is definitely banner worthy in my book, more-so, than a gold coin.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Banner for the gold dollar.. Honorable mention for the sammich!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome.jpg Bonepicker!!! Congrats.gif

Clapping II.gif

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
First, congrats on your banner gold coin and a $1 at that (not easily found, but I suspect a lot were lost) :occasion14:

Secondly I must say that sammich looks terrific :happy2:

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was a long ride, congrats on finally making it to a well deserve Banner. The next one should be much easier and faster. Welcome to the gold coin club :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread