What's new

Check out this net little printers block that popped up while site clearing tody.

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,352
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out this net little printer's block that popped up while site clearing tody.

Pretty good shape! considering
 

Attachments

  • block.webp
    block.webp
    131.6 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 12
Old printer's blocks like that are excellent finds! I found a very nice one advertising a business from many years ago in my first year of detecting. Still among my favorite finds.
 
Last edited:
Love it! Would really like to find one myself.
 
Thanks Eric and qaela4! :hello:
 
Another nice save!
 
Thanks Rick and Villagenut ! :hello: Villagenut .. I am not real sure when the parks was established. That will be a good research project.
 
So was this an early block from the Civil War, commemorating the battle of New Market? Seems that a Historical Park was set up at the battle site. Any idea when the Park was established? Cool find BTW.

New Market Battlefield State Historical Park and Hall of Valor Museum

Very nice find, the only thing I can come up with is [TABLE="class: infobox ww_ib ww_ib_1, width: 420"]
[TR="bgcolor: transparent !important"]
[TH="bgcolor: transparent !important"]Added to NRHP[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent !important"]September 15, 1970[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: transparent !important"]
[TH="bgcolor: transparent !important"]Designated VLR[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent !important"]June 2, 1970[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
So was this an early block from the Civil War, commemorating the battle of New Market? Seems that a Historical Park was set up at the battle site. Any idea when the Park was established? Cool find BTW.

New Market Battlefield State Historical Park and Hall of Valor Museum

I did run across this little snip-it of information:

"After a flood of preservation efforts from the 1920s until the 1940s, federal preservation initiatives slowed, with only moderate attention paid during the Civil War Centennial (1961–1965). State governments, however, worked to pick up the slack, and Virginia created state parks at Sailor's Creek in 1934 and Staunton River in 1955, along with the Virginia Military Institute's New Market Battlefield State Historical Park in 1967."
 
That's a cool printing block. I've found a few, but they were advertisement for flour and bandages... or nameplates. This one is awesome since its commemorating a CW battle. I flipped it around to show what it would look like when printed. Great find!

IMG_20151027_084350.webp
 
That's a cool printing block. I've found a few, but they were advertisement for flour and bandages... or nameplates. This one is awesome since its commemorating a CW battle. I flipped it around to show what it would look like when printed. Great find!

Thanks! :hello:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom