Check this out

teammajic

Feb 16, 2013
Found this today while me and a buddy was detecting on a home place from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. Its the biggest copper nutt i have ever seen wonder what its was used for ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454197967.574037.jpg

Upvote 2
Are you sure it's copper, looks to be brass to me, but you have it in your hands so you would be the better judge?

The design of the nut seem to indicate that it's a "pipe fitting", e.g plumbing fitting, hydraulic fitting, etc., the threads don't go all the way through leading me to believe that a metal tube/pipe with a flared end is sealed to a mating surface by the nut, you can see a very similar, if not much the same, nut and the pipe by looking under your kitchen sink at the sink's drain hole, although what you will most likely see today could be very well PVC or metal.

Last edited:
Looks like a brass flange nut from plumbing. Maybe from an "S" trap. May once have been chromed. Don't think it is very old.

Could also be from an old bicycle (or new). part of what is called the headset. Could be plumbing related as well, as others have already stated.

DSC00085.JPG

Kind of looks like a drive cap to pound a shallow well to me?

Found my ex a big old nut. Probablym ore stuff to find.

How far was the find from a major waterway? It looks like a ship's fitting of some sort.

Its a 20 or 30 miles from a water way big enuff for a boat the latest it could be is around 1930 its 15 miles from the closest house there was once a little town there with a cotton mill but the state bought it all up in the 1940+ and turned it in to a wildlife refuge

Female Compression Fitting - Brass

that particular one may have been to a gas line running from a propane tank, it's hard to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back