What's new

Checking the odd.

Msbeepbeep

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
15,841
Reaction score
24,153
Golden Thread
0
Location
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sundays hunt was exploratory and dedicated to digging those "odd" bouncy signals, which are normally are can slaw, but in dry soil conditions could be anything.

Donning my green Castro style cap & sweat band I started out in the shade digging the odd.


Some clad quarters read "dime/cent" at 4", possibly they were standing on edge. In some cases there was trash close by. A coin spill of a quarter, nickel, 2 dimes & 2 pennies bounced all over the coin range.

One signal was bouncing between dime & iron, turned out to be exactly that, a dime in the same hole with a piece of rusty iron.

The corroded zincs consistently read "bottle cap"
A "cent" with a very low VDI of 50 turned out to be the top part of a silver gilt button with a shield with a lion on it and "spectemur agendo" printed on the ribbon at the bottom.

The large flat rusty iron was bouncing all over from -95 to +95 with no other metal in the hole so it may have been the soil.

The lead items read solid "quarter" or "ring", slightly disappointing. :(
Then the little voice interjected it's self into the mix and said to head to the center of the field.
I really didn't want to go, it was hot out there with the sun blazing...but i went.

Not a lot of anything out there, even the trash was sparse. I told myself "ok, just make it to that little rise, then head back to the shade". I really wanted a gold ring but instead asked for something special.
I turned to head back and got a bouncy quarter reading 93 at 6".
When i dug it out, I was kinda surprised it wasn't orange like the other clad quarters....oh wait! It's not clad! It's a silver standing Liberty quarter, 1928!
My "something special" my first SLQ!

There was an odd surface find, the large box of matches. :what:
One of my cents turned out to be a "NH Dept of Transportation" tokens.

I was pouring sweat had to head to the truck & water.
I need to work on my pin pointing. Every move and minute counts when your out in the hot sun digging those "odd" signals!
 

Attachments

  • 1469031064832.webp
    1469031064832.webp
    43.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 1469031126329.webp
    1469031126329.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 68
Congrats Msbeepbeep on your first SLQ and with a date, nice job....:hello2:
 
Congrats on your bodacious 1928 SLQ (fairly good detail & hard to come by) - token and other finds - anway I want to thank you for posting your pictures and story and I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED
 
Congrats on the SLQ!
 
Congratulations on your first SLQ! I enjoyed your account of the day's hunt, and can identify with "going with your gut". Be careful in the heat. It's so hot and dry here, that digging is almost impossible. By the way......how deep was that box of matches?
 
That SLQ really is special. Took me finding 4 with out a date before I found my only one with a date.
Awesome find!!
 
Well, you put at least 4 years work into finding your first SLQ. So you were rewarded with one with a date on it! Congrats!
 
Congrats Msbeepbeep on your first SLQ and with a date, nice job....:hello2:

Thank you! I was trying figure out what foreign coin i had found now till i flipped it over and saw the eagle on the back.
 
Nice job on the SLQ it's a beauty.
 
Congrats on your bodacious 1928 SLQ (fairly good detail & hard to come by) - token and other finds - anway I want to thank you for posting your pictures and story and I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

Thanks! I was very happy to find it still had a visible date, its been around the block a few times.
 
Good going on the silver.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thank you! I was very surprised to find a SLQ. I was just out to explore those odd signals and maybe get a better idea of what they might be. I think i heard the detector laugh & say, " you should have seen the look on your face!"....but i'm not sure...
 
Congratulations on your first SLQ! I enjoyed your account of the day's hunt, and can identify with "going with your gut". Be careful in the heat. It's so hot and dry here, that digging is almost impossible. By the way......how deep was that box of matches?

Thank you! So far the little voice has never been wrong.
Lol! The matches were just sitting there on the ground, i'm surprised they didn't automatically combust, i felt it was hot enough.
An odd surface find for sure, who leaves a box of matches that size on a sports field?
 
That SLQ really is special. Took me finding 4 with out a date before I found my only one with a date.
Awesome find!!

I'm overjoyed it still has the date on it! I have the LC, IH, buff, and V nickel all of which are "dateless". Thats 4, so guess i was due for one. I'm going to be ogling this one for a while!
 
That is a beautiful, full date, Standing Liberty Quarter. SLQ's are very hard to come by. One with a full date is quite an accomplishment.
Congratulations.
 
Well, you put at least 4 years work into finding your first SLQ. So you were rewarded with one with a date on it! Congrats!

Thank you! I almost did the happy dance, but thought better of it...nothing like tarnishing a great find with a trip to the ER!

Things seem to happen in sets of 4's lately, what happened to sets of 3's. :what: inflation?
 
I know there's some distance between us but your one person I'd love to spend a day digging with.... Nice SLQ! Brad
 
Congrats on your first SLQ . I bet you will remember that exact spot forever
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom