RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, I found the below picture Williams Cleaner bullet last week at a farm I have been hunting since Fall. The bullet was chewed by something. The farm I have been hunting appears to either have been a staging area or an encampment. I have found a few pieces of melted lead which lead me to believe they were melted in a campfire. The bullet was found in the field approximately 300 yards from the woods. Between my friends and I we have found about 40 bullets there. I believe this is the first chewed. But I wonder if the bullet got in the way of a ground hog. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks for reading. HH

Attachments

• Chew.jpg
    Chew.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 730
  • Chew1.jpg
    Chew1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 726
  • Chew2.jpg
    Chew2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 714
  • Chew3.jpg
    Chew3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 721
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's special find RR! Looks like molar chews, maybe from a soldier being operated on, like having his lower leg sawed off without anesthetics. Nice find and congrats. HH, Mike

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of "chewed",bullets and most are left to the imagination,but that one is pretty strong!I have often thought I bet more of them were just carried in the mouth as a nervous thing and chewed in the heat of battle rather than medically speaking,but who knows?

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kuger said:
I see a lot of "chewed",bullets and most are left to the imagination,but that one is pretty strong!I have often thought I bet more of them were just carried in the mouth as a nervous thing and chewed in the heat of battle rather than medically speaking,but who knows?

I also think soldiers chewed on bullets to calm themselves. I know when I am stressed, chewing on sunflower seeds or gum always seems to help. I guess they werent worried about lead poisoning back then. They had much more to worry about. Thanks for the post.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find RR3!!! I have probably dug over a hundred chewed bullets but never a Williams Cleaner. Most of mine have been chewed on by hogs, ground squirrels, etc. HH.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RiverRat3 said:
kuger said:

I also think soldiers chewed on bullets to calm themselves. I know when I am stressed, chewing on sunflower seeds or gum always seems to help. I guess they werent worried about lead poisoning back then. They had much more to worry about. Thanks for the post.
Exactly! :thumbsup:

wobax

Dec 13, 2007
New Bern, NC
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I have found a couple of chewed bullets also. I lean towards being chewed by hogs rather than humans but you never know.

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
kuger said:

Yup!That would be my guess. To many marks on it for an amputation.

G1

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I have found a few chewed bullets. I think a ground hog got them.
Dman

claymation

Oct 14, 2007
NM
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had read in an old journal that sometimes the Indians would chew a musket ball down to fit his own musket. Wonder if this might be the sort of thing they were talking about ?

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, either chewed by man or beast or both. It looks like a Williams Cleaner. Neat find, Breezie

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
man that is interesting to read...if it was a soldier..at least he had a good set of teeth..for awhile

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not the "chewed bullet" thread again ;D Great find....gotta be some button's and brass somewhere.Keep diggin' :icon_thumright:

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool bullet RiverRat!! I've often read post about chewed bullets but I have never found one until a couple of weeks ago. I figured mine was probably chewed by a hog.
Good luck finding more stuff!

Ed

Attachments

• DSCF2031.JPG
    DSCF2031.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 277

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread