Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it may have some tooth still embedded ih the bullet...Eerie

Upvote 0

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pigs think they are nuts and chew on them. Sold online as Pain bullets. But I bet you cant bite it hard enough to do that damage.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are not teeth-marks unless there are similar marks on the exact opposite side of the bullet. Always check for that. To make the tooth impressions, the bullet must be placed between the jaws, which means there MUST be similar impressions of opposite sides of the bullet. Because that's not the case on RelicHnter's bullet, I believe it simply struck several stones when it hit the ground.

Also, there seem to be rifling-marks on it, and being a fired bullet enormously reduces the likelihood that a human chewed on it. According to the "Bite The Bullet" myth, you use an unfired bullet.

Yes, Bite-The-Bullet is a myth. It is definitely false. There is no record of it being done in any civil war (or earlier) Medical Manuals OR surgery reports. The main reason is simple... when a wounded man is in agony, you absolutely DO NOT want to put a small object in his mouth, lest it be swallowed, or worse, inhaled. And especially, not a Toxic metal object. For that very important reason, in situations where anesthesia was unavailable, a twisted rag or strip of leather was used. Also important... cloth or leather won't break the man's teeth if he bites down with extreme pressure due to his agony. You WILL break your teeth on that half-inch-thick solid lead bullet.

Here's a Challenge I've made to Bite-The-Bullet believers in the past. Get a reproduction lead Minie-bullet, and bite down on it using as much pressure as you can without feeling like your teeth will break if you use any more pressure. Then post a photo showing how much of an impression your teeth made in the Minie-bullet. Nobody has ever accepted that Challenge. I promise you, the thick solid cylinder of lead is a lot harder to bite into than you'd think. Pun intended.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Other critters "gnaw" on lead .. have you ever seen the mess a squirrel and other rodents can do to a battery terminal?

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are not teeth-marks unless there are similar marks on the exact opposite side of the bullet. Always check for that. To make the tooth impressions, the bullet must be placed between the jaws, which means there MUST be similar impressions of opposite sides of the bullet. Because that's not the case on RelicHnter's bullet, I believe it simply struck several stones when it hit the ground.

Also, there seem to be rifling-marks on it, and being a fired bullet enormously reduces the likelihood that a human chewed on it. According to the "Bite The Bullet" myth, you use an unfired bullet.

Yes, Bite-The-Bullet is a myth. It is definitely false. There is no record of it being done in any civil war (or earlier) Medical Manuals OR surgery reports. The main reason is simple... when a wounded man is in agony, you absolutely DO NOT want to put a small object in his mouth, lest it be swallowed, or worse, inhaled. And especially, not a Toxic metal object. For that very important reason, in situations where anesthesia was unavailable, a twisted rag or strip of leather was used. Also important... cloth or leather won't break the man's teeth if he bites down with extreme pressure due to his agony. You WILL break your teeth on that half-inch-thick solid lead.

Here's a Challenge I've made to Bite-The-Bullet believers in the past. Get a reproduction lead Minie-bullet, and bite down on it using as much pressure as you can without feeling like your teeth will break if you use any more pressure. Then post a photo showing how much of an impression your teeth made in the Minie-bullet. Nobody has ever accepted that Challenge. I promise you, the thick solid cylinder of lead is a lot harder to bite into than you'd think. Pun intended.

Once again, useful, thorough, and realistic information. Thanks, Cannonball Guy.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two trailers with winches and batteries. I have to keep the batteries covered. The squirrels will knaw the posts down flush with the top of the battery.
Other critters "gnaw" on lead .. have you ever seen the mess a squirrel and other rodents can do to a battery terminal?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread