Cache Hunting
Great finds.:thumb_up:

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is pretty, shame about the point being broke off. Love the pottery too with the red stones in it and the swirl is cool! Finding all that makes it worthwhile to get out in the cold.

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds I’m sure you will find a killer point soon, that black one with the square base would have been really nice

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did better than me..... I went out today myself found some small pieces. We're finally getting some harder rains and hunting season is about out and I got a few more places to look. I'm tired of looking in the same old spots

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds I’m sure you will find a killer point soon, that black one with the square base would have been really nice

Its a uni so probably would of been a side scraper or a thick flake knife.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did better than me..... I went out today myself found some small pieces. We're finally getting some harder rains and hunting season is about out and I got a few more places to look. I'm tired of looking in the same old spots

The point in hand was under ice the last time I was there. There is a big tree that has blocked my passage to go further but after this weeks rain today and coming Im hoping it moves it a bit so I can get around next time. You still got me beat on the points as in quality so far this year. You have been finding some nice ones and I hope it continues for you.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like the quartz points do not seem to be as symmetrical as other materials. Is quartz harder to work? Also aside from the chilly wind did you encounter any chubby rain?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like the quartz points do not seem to be as symmetrical as other materials. Is quartz harder to work? Also aside from the chilly wind did you encounter any chubby rain?

I think quartz is one of the hardest materials to work but also the most plentiful in my area so they didnt have to look far to find a piece to work.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think quartz is one of the hardest materials to work but also the most plentiful in my area so they didnt have to look far to find a piece to work.

Yeah, up here a quartz pebble industry developed. No need to quarry, just pick a suitable sized pebble. Might have been different where you are, though, as our pebbles are all glacial in origin. It's a nice find, even with a tip ding. Nice grade of quartz.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember the wind chill was -20 the day I found my best quartz triangle. I'm not that nuts anymore, or maybe I should say not that gung ho, lol....

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, up here a quartz pebble industry developed. No need to quarry, just pick a suitable sized pebble. Might have been different where you are, though, as our pebbles are all glacial in origin. It's a nice find, even with a tip ding. Nice grade of quartz.

A lot more quartz cobbles than flint in the creeks here. Its a type of quartz called sugar quartz its a in between of quartz and quartzite it was a preferred type cause they didnt have to heat treat it but at the same time if they did it would come out in colors. I found a flake piece of of material from quartz that they turned into a knife which isnt shown but how hard would they of had the hit a regular quartz cobble to make a 3 inch flake come off without heat treating it Charl

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the wind chill was -20 the day I found my best quartz triangle. I'm not that nuts anymore, or maybe I should say not that gung ho, lol....

I dont think I could do that temp but the day I went it was in the 20s and my feet were numb. Its hard to find some peace and quiet sometimes to relax.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread