IMG_1529.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark looks right 5 trident fork on last mark (lower left) vs 3 trident but you might want to post the pics on asianart.com forum.

http://www.asianart.com/phpforum/index.php?method=detailAll&Id=75628

Their are many pieces with Qianlong marks which are not of the period. With Chinese ceramics the mark is usually the last thing that I would look at in determining if it's period piece.

Some experts in the field are familiar with the calligraphy styles and able to determine the age of the mark from that.

Last edited:

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a significant difference in the above mark. In the 3rd character, reading down from right to left, Qian. Notice that the box has a cross vs Bens' which has a horizontal line. There is variation in imperial marks but I would leave it up to experts in determining if it's from the period.

Here is what I've been using for reference.

http://www.gotheborg.com/qa/qianlongmark.shtml

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a significant difference in the above mark. In the 3rd character, reading down from right to left, Qian. Notice that the box has a cross vs Bens' which has a horizontal line. There is variation in imperial marks but I would leave it up to experts in determining if it's from the period.

Here is what I've been using for reference.

Q&A: Genuine Qianlong mark
Thanks for pointing that out. My good eye must be going bad. lol.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont expect the bowl to be an original piece. I was just hoping to determine what it is, as I assume it was copied off a known piece. I also wanted to know if it has any value?

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect Chinese porcelain and would not offhand discount it not being real. Most of the Chien Lung (Qianlong) pieces that I come across do not have the 5 tines.

Does the bottom of the footrim fell coarse or smooth?

If it is not original I would think that it would have decorative value if it 20th century. A little more if it were 19th century.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the amount of fakes of Chinese ceramics now, especially since the boom in Chinese buyers, I avoid purchasing oriental items. IMO they are too risky to invest in.

In that ebay listing the seller said 18th century period mark. No where did he mention it's an 18th century piece.

If you ebay yours be careful how the ad is worded.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched the completed listings for qianlong plate and qianlong bowl, I did not see another example of your piece in either. I think that is a good sign. I have seen similar patterns listed as "100 children".

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW- Look at the marks on the ones that have sold for real high dollar. Personally, I think your gonna need an expert to tell the difference.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, normally I wouldnt bother with stuff like this because I almost always assume its a reproduction.

You guys have convinced me enough to at least get an expert opinion on this one.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, normally I wouldnt bother with stuff like this because I almost always assume its a reproduction.

You guys have convinced me enough to at least get an expert opinion on this one.

Sounds like you are on a TV show....we have to get an expert to verify if it is real or not

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread