JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help me find out about this coin I found? Couldn't make out much until I used electrolysis on it. Yes cleaning coins is normally bad I know this but I couldn't make out anything on it before electrolysis and payed close attention to as I did the electrolysis as I knew too much would eat it away beyond any chance of recognition. I tried to get the best pictures I could to get as much detail possible. If anyone is able to help I'd greatly appreciate it. 20210823_140555.jpg 20210823_140440.jpg 20210823_140500.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The Chinese immigrants musta brought them over by the barrel full. I have found many here in Colorado. I have yet to find a gold nugget, however!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Chinese immigrants musta brought them over by the barrel full. I have found many here in Colorado. I have yet to find a gold nugget, however!
I think you are actually correct in the barrel full thing even if you were joking. I believe some did indeed actually bring them by the barrel full lol. I just like them as I know some can be 100s of years old so my chance in California to actually have something really old. My gold nugget was just pure dumb luck lol. But it helped me to know my Deus XP will find them and they sound clear. Makes me want to get out more to the dry rivers and creeks here in California.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats John... you have your wish to find something old!

There’s enough of it there for an ID. It’s a one cash coin from China’s longest-reigning emperor Kangxi (K’ang-Hsi) who ruled from 1661-1722, although the coinage first appeared in 1662. He’s known after his death by his temple name Shengzu (Sheng Tsu):

Obverse.jpg

On the reverse, you have the “Kuang” character for the Kuangtung mint written in Manchu on the left and in Chinese on the right:

Reverse.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats John... you have your wish to find something old!

There?s enough of it there for an ID. It?s a one cash coin from China?s longest-reigning emperor Kangxi (K?ang-Hsi) who ruled from 1661-1722, although the coinage first appeared in 1662. He?s known after his death by his temple name Shengzu (Sheng Tsu):

View attachment 1943930

On the reverse, you have the ?Kuang? character for the Kuangtung mint written in Manchu on the left and in Chinese on the right:

View attachment 1943932
Thank you so much Red-Coat. Always full of knowledge. Lol I find it cool to finally have something decent enough for you to come by and identify. I find it awesome how you and a few other very knowledgeable members on here take you time to help the community. I always try but I don't know much and my memory sucks I'm always always anxiety ridden and don't often interact with people as I'm always afraid of what people think lol. Though lately with this community these days I try to say things on people's posts and help the rare times I can.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much Red-Coat. Always full of knowledge. Lol I find it cool to finally have something decent enough for you to come by and identify. I find it awesome how you and a few other very knowledgeable members on here take you time to help the community. I always try but I don't know much and my memory sucks I'm always always anxiety ridden and don't often interact with people as I'm always afraid of what people think lol. Though lately with this community these days I try to say things on people's posts and help the rare times I can.

You're most welcome. Any find is a good find if it has a story to tell, as far as I'm concerned. It's not just about rarity and value. If any of my comments help anyone then that's great... and if they make people feel good about what they've found then that's even better. I tend mostly to comment only if I have something to add and use the like button if I'm just admiring, but maybe I should also give more explicit praise and thank folks for showing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're most welcome. Any find is a good find if it has a story to tell, as far as I'm concerned. It's not just about rarity and value. If any of my comments help anyone then that's great... and if they make people feel good about what they've found then that's even better. I tend mostly to comment only if I have something to add and use the like button if I'm just admiring, but maybe I should also give more explicit praise and thank folks for showing.
I think it's just a cool thing to do. A few of you have been around a long time on here helping people. I find it really awesome you guys do that. I love history and the story things have to tell so getting the information is real exciting for me. I'm often way to excitable when I come to the hobby even when things I find aren't valuable money wise the feeling of awe and wonder the history for me is everything and I've just got a huge sense of adventure. I'm odd I don't like much but metal detecting and history I'm wild about.

Upvote 0

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick observation...

Sorry to put a message on a solved message thread. Was looking at Red Coat's researched image and the discovered coin image. I noticed 3 character differences between the two images. Below is my attempt to show the differences.

1) circle one is in the 康 kang. The stroke in the circle appears to have joined with the upper part of the character which looks different from the coin Red Coat used as an example.

2) circle two has only two broken horizontal strokes but in Read Coat's image there is clearly 3 broken horizontal lines in the 見 jian part of the 寶 tong character.

3) circle three the vertical stroke in the bottom character is bent in the discovered coin but Red Coat's example shows a straight vertical stroke with the first of four dots under that stroke. The discovered coin shows the first dot beside the bent vertical stroke.

This kind of character design difference research is how coin collectors in China get more info about the date and the authenticity of dynasty coins. This was just a quick observation and to show differences in the discovered coin. As for why the differences I have not done that research. Happy Treasure Hunting!

Obverse.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick observation...

Sorry to put a message on a solved message thread. Was looking at Red Coat's researched image and the discovered coin image. I noticed 3 character differences between the two images. Below is my attempt to show the differences.

1) circle one is in the 康 kang. The stroke in the circle appears to have joined with the upper part of the character which looks different from the coin Red Coat used as an example.

2) circle two has only two broken horizontal strokes but in Read Coat's image there is clearly 3 broken horizontal lines in the 見 jian part of the 寶 tong character.

3) circle three the vertical stroke in the bottom character is bent in the discovered coin but Red Coat's example shows a straight vertical stroke with the first of four dots under that stroke. The discovered coin shows the first dot beside the bent vertical stroke.

This kind of character design difference research is how coin collectors in China get more info about the date and the authenticity of dynasty coins. This was just a quick observation and to show differences in the discovered coin. As for why the differences I have not done that research. Happy Treasure Hunting!

View attachment 1944184
I had noticed that too I wonder why that is. Thank you for pointing it out

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looks like it isn't quite solved yet, again thank you Yang Hao for pointing out the differences. If anyone has anything more to add I'd appreciate it very much.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Yang Hao... always appreciate your insight.

Yes, I was aware of the differences in the characters and I'm sure an expert in Chinese coins could say more than I was able to. One thing to remember is that Kangxi coins were produced over a period of more than 60 years, during which there were more than 20 different mints in operation. Inevitably there are many stylistic variations, plus also variations in the size of coins from different mints and in different time periods within the reign. I'm sure this one is from the Kuangtung mint but wouldn't be prepared to 'type' or date it any more precisely.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, I was aware of the differences in the characters and I'm sure an expert in Chinese coins could say more than I was able to. One thing to remember is that Kangxi coins were produced over a period of more than 60 years, during which there were more than 20 different mints in operation. Inevitably there are many stylistic variations, plus also variations in the size of coins from different mints and in different time periods within the reign. I'm sure this one is from the Kuangtung mint but wouldn't be prepared to 'type' or date it any more precisely.
I find all the little information cool and I'm thankful for everyone's inputs. I'd know molting of it at all if not for you guys. Even with Google I wouldn't of been able to get very far with this coin. So for you and Yang Hao inputs I am extremely grateful for. I careful put away date and document my coins I find so all this info is great to me.

Upvote 0

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All good. While on the topic, here is a youtube video (in Mandarin Chinese) talking about character differences in kangxi coins and their potential value. According to the person in the video, some kangxi coins can fetch 5000 RMB which is around 775 US dollars.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good. While on the topic, here is a youtube video (in Mandarin Chinese) talking about character differences in kangxi coins and their potential value. According to the person in the video, some kangxi coins can fetch 5000 RMB which is around 775 US dollars.

Mine is probably too damaged to be worth anything I'm sure so for me monetary value probably doesn't matter I had to do electrolysis on this one just to get the detail to show. I guess in this case the value is historical being of the gold rush era and the Chinese immigrants whom came in search of gold. So all just documentation and history value at this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread