Snapchat-2087487362.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 25

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not as old but still a good find. It's from between 1736-1795.

Rather than repeat the information, it's the same type as per my comments on this thread:

Upvote 3
Solution
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not as old but still a good find. It's from between 1736-1795.

Rather than repeat the information, it's the same type as per my comments on this thread:

As always thank you Red-Coat. Don't mean to bug you with Chinese coins as I see they've been found a lot lately lol. Though mine matched none found so had no clue when it was from. Not super old but I'll take it. It's in better shape than my older one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always thank you Red-Coat. Don't mean to bug you with Chinese coins as I see they've been found a lot lately lol. Though mine matched none found so had no clue when it was from. Not super old but I'll take it. It's in better shape than my older one
Oh and nevermind I don't look good enough I guess as like you said you already answered about one similar apologies

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh and nevermind I don't look good enough I guess as like you said you already answered about one similar apologies

You're welcome my friend... and I'm not feeling bugged.

Happy to help whenever I can, and sometimes it's no effort at all really. The more of these you see, the easier it gets to identify them as long as they aren't too corroded.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome my friend... and I'm not feeling bugged.

Happy to help whenever I can, and sometimes it's no effort at all really. The more of these you see, the easier it gets to identify them as long as they aren't too corroded.
Well I greatly appreciate the help as without help these Chinese coins are hard to figure out what age they are from. Apparently they are easy to come by here in California but I've only found two all these years. I get excited when I find them and know a few people around here that find them and are like eh lol. I know they aren't worth much but how old they can be is cool to me not much of a chance to find really old stuff here beyond native stuff, Spanish but hard to find that stuff, and the Chinese stuff brought down from the gold rush.

Upvote 3

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin you have appears to be a standard style Qian Long emperor coin. It probably measures between 23mm to 24mm in diameter and weighs around 4 grams.

One of the interesting features is the top part of the 通 tong character (the character on the right side of the coin). It’s called a square head tong style coin because it is not the usual stroke style of the character tong 通。You coin’s tong head looks like a backwards C.

Also the 寶 bao character’s bottom (should look like this “貝”), however 3 of the strokes of the box part don’t appear to go all the way across and of its two bottom “feet”, the right foot is bigger than the left.

If authentic, I want to say this coin was made near the end of Qian Long’s reign, just before he abdicated the throne but I’m not sure. I’m about 80% sure, I can explain why but that would take another few paragraphs to do so. :tongue3:

Happy treasure hunting.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin you have appears to be a standard style Qian Long emperor coin. It probably measures between 23mm to 24mm in diameter and weighs around 4 grams.

One of the interesting features is the top part of the 通 tong character (the character on the right side of the coin). It’s called a square head tong style coin because it is not the usual stroke style of the character tong 通。You coin’s tong head looks like a backwards C.

Also the 寶 bao character’s bottom (should look like this “貝”), however 3 of the strokes of the box part don’t appear to go all the way across and of its two bottom “feet”, the right foot is bigger than the left.

If authentic, I want to say this coin was made near the end of Qian Long’s reign, just before he abdicated the throne but I’m not sure. I’m about 80% sure, I can explain why but that would take another few paragraphs to do so. :tongue3:

Happy treasure hunting.
Thank you for the info Yang I greatly appreciate it. Always good to learn more I'm sure I'll come across more old Chinese coins around here in my detecting ventures in these areas

Upvote 1

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info Yang I greatly appreciate it. Always good to learn more I'm sure I'll come across more old Chinese coins around here in my detecting ventures in these areas
Looking forward to your new Chinese coin discoveries. Many Chinese cash coins are not worth much but they are unique and have different features within a particular emperor's reign. Not just different minting locations but sometimes the Chinese characters are written in a different script or designed differently. These differences, in some cases, can give a closer estimate of the coin's age. I did start a thread about Chinese coins but have not updated it for a couple of years.:laughing7: Happy treasure hunting.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to your new Chinese coin discoveries. Many Chinese cash coins are not worth much but they are unique and have different features within a particular emperor's reign. Not just different minting locations but sometimes the Chinese characters are written in a different script or designed differently. These differences, in some cases, can give a closer estimate of the coin's age. I did start a thread about Chinese coins but have not updated it for a couple of years.:laughing7: Happy treasure hunting.
I think they are cool I love history

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread