jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deans, James; American Naturalist, 18:98-99, 1884.

In the summer of 1882 a miner found on De Foe (Deorse?) creek, Cassiar district, Br. Columbia, thirtu Chinese coins in the aurifeous sand, twenty-five feet below the surface. They appeared to have been strung, but on taking them up the miner let them drop apart. The earth above and around them was as compact as any in the neighborhood. One of theses coins I examined at the store of Chu Chong in Victoria. Neither in metal nor markings, this is a Chinese chronological cycle of sixty years, invented by the Emperor Huungti, 2637 B.C., and circulated in this form to make his people remember it.

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Lagoon/1345/coin2.html

Likely Guy

I did a bit of digging and found online a book called 'Lost Cities of North and Central America' by David Hatcher Childress and on page 561 he quotes Deans article, but then states;

"John Colombo, the author of 'Mysterious Canada' comments on the srticle about the Chinese coins, "The present whereabouts of the cahe of coins is unknown. Coins were used by the ancient Chinese but not as early as the year 2637 BC." Actually what Colombo doesn't realize is that the date is obviously a typographical error. The story is referring to Emperor Chi-Huang-ti (Huungti in the article), the same emperor who built the Great Wall... The period of his life was the Ch'in Dynasty, which is typically dated from 221 to 207 BC. Therefore, the date of 263 BC for the 'chronological cycle of sixty years' would be more correct. Emperor Chi-Huang-ti is also known to have sent a huge expedition of thousands of men and women in an armada of huge junks to the "Golden Land" in search of the "magic fungus of immortality." The expedition failed to return, and lacking the "magic fungus", the emperor died circa 207 BC. One wonders if this expedition ended up in British Columbia."

I say heck yah. He sent his boys to BC to get him his magic mushrooms. But they should have tried a little farther down the coast, not the Cassiar. Or maybe the expedition did find the 'shrooms' but after doing them forgot how to get back. Either way the mystery deepens.

I bet that miner's find on DeFot Creek would have made the banner though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions