What's new

Chinese coins?

Jager

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D
Hello
I was wondering if someone could help me.

I found these today in an 1800's Chinese mining camp.

All 3 have rivets through them with a square hole in the middle.

On one side there is Chinese letters or numbers in four places: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 and writing on two places on the back, 12:00 and 6:00.

They seem to be coins, but what's with the rivets in the middle?

I tried my best with the camera I have.

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • Coins 003.webp
    Coins 003.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 325
  • Coins 004.webp
    Coins 004.webp
    3.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Coins 006.webp
    Coins 006.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Coins 014.webp
    Coins 014.webp
    3 KB · Views: 308
  • Coins 017.webp
    Coins 017.webp
    5 KB · Views: 307
Hey Jager, welcome to T'Net :icon_thumright:

Because of the blurriness of the photos, I can't tell if they are Chinese coins or not, but from your verbal description I would say that you're absolutely right. Unfortunately the Chinese trade coins, even being hundreds of years old have only a few dollar value.

The rivets are a curiousity though.

P.S.:

Love your avatar photo (great movie & music) and you can date your coins at: http://www.calgarycoin.com/hub_china.htm
 
Upvote 0
If coins, maybe they were used to decorate something by riveting the coins to it... maybe leather?
 
Upvote 0
Yep Looks like it was used as a washer.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks, I appreciate it!!
 
Upvote 0
make shift button --or similar type fastener the coin used as backing to pound against it **** rivet face --cloth --coin--- cloth---other side of rivet
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
make shift button --or similar type fastener the coin used as backing to pound against it **** rivet face --cloth --coin--- cloth---other side of rivet
That is a very neat find. I have dug many holes and never even found modern coins. Is this your first, or just some more to add to your display? Also if you could find the time to show me how you are getting so lucky, I will travel to get lessons from you. I am glad you are finding the good old stuff. Good luck out there.
 
Upvote 0
I think they could be lapel studs. It looks like they may have been gold plated. If you had a macro lens camera we could date them for you. Would love to see a better pic.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I think they could be lapel studs. It looks like they may have been gold plated. If you had a macro lens camera we could date them for you. Would love to see a better pic.
Often they were made of brass,I have two on my key chain,that when I dug them were hardly readable....now they are polished up and shiny :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom