Chinese Metalware From A Civil War Site

diggerbob

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2004
I dug this over a bank at a Union Civil War campsite. It is 2 inches is diameter, 1 inch high at the center. It appears to be made of bronze or brass. On the bottom is some chinese symbols and I was hoping someone could translate it or tell me where I can send the pictures to have it translated. My research shows that it could possibly be a censer (incense burner). My question is, why was it on a civil war campsite.

Attachments

• censer2.JPG
    censer2.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 245
  • censer3.JPG
    censer3.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 243
HI BOB ;

I can't Translate it, However Wern't Incense Used at times For Medical Purposes ?

It may have also been used as a Pestal.

Or even Disgarded Long after the Civil War.

Definately a Very Cool Find .

Jeff

Upvote 0
That looks like one of the little bowls that people of the orient place on their top step by the front door to keep evil away. They fill it with salt. It seems like every house has one somewhere, front door, back door, window seal. Kind of like the shi shi lions that are placed on each side of the driveway/doorway and some I've seen on the roofs. One Dragon/dog has it's mouth open to let in the good and the other has it's mouth closed to keep out the bad or maybe the one with the open mouth eatsup the bad what ever you get the picture. What a wedding gift.

They also believe evil travels in straight lines if they live in a T in the road they place a small sign that will change or redirect the evil. So if it's coming down the road it will not pass into the house or rice field, grave yard, park, school etc.........

Hope that helps

Kermit

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back