Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they call it Willow Ware . Are there any markings on the bottom ? It looks like an old one !

mojjax

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tricia said:
Condition is everything with this type of item so take a few $ off for the cracks.

Truthfully, it has no practical value at all, in its condition. But it would display nicely and the chipped section can be glued. We probably can help you with the history though by the requests I made in the above post before this one.
DG
:D

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The willow pattern, as we know it today, was designed by one Thomas Minton about 1780, and brought from him by Thomas Turner, a famous potter and manager of Shropshire pottery.
Here is the story:

Knoon-shee, a lovely Chinese maiden, whose affections were bestowed upon her father's secretary, Chang, but who was commanded by her parents to wed a wealthy rival suitor.

She refused to comply with their wishes, whereupon her enraged father locked her up in the little house just visible on the left of the temple. From here she contrived to send a message to her lover, 'Gather thy blossom, ere it be stolen.' Thus encouraged, Chang succeeded in entering the apple orchard and carrying off his beloved. So we see them hurrying over the bridge. Knoon-shee with a distaff, and Chang carrying her box of jewels, while the angry father follows hard after them armed with a whip - in some patterns also accompanied by the discarded lover.

The couple made good their escape in the 'Chinese ship sailing by' and landed on the island, which can be seen on the left of the picture, where they took refuge in the little wooden house. But the father and discarded suitor tracked them and set fire to the house while they were sleeping; and so the lovers perished.
Next morning, from the ashes rose their spirits, in the forms of two doves. And so we see them with out-stretched wings flying off to the realms of eternal happiness.
http://www.spode.co.uk/history/history_pattern.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
moejax your plate is not the same.
dg there is no marking on the bottom.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
At least there are no guys with forked sticks playing in the water on there. Right? Man I hope I'm right. :D

Daryl

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
hmmm said:
moejax your plate is not the same.
dg there is no marking on the bottom.

GEEEEEZ!! You guys! Put some real effort on your ID's will ya!

Don't help unless is accurate, identical information.

Tony ;D

Upvote 0

destobrat

Jun 18, 2007
Modesto, Ca
I have a whole bunch of the Blue Willow plates, cups, bowls, etc... that belonged to my great grandmother. Some have no markings and some just say JAPAN. I have been told from many antique dealers and shops that have no real value.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a youngster back in the 1950s my Mom got a set of these from Safeway Super Market. They gave pieces away with the purchase of so many dollars worth of groceries. Mom had the whole set and I think my sister now has them? I'm sure these were copy of a pattern from China. May have been made in Japan but I don't know as I never looked at the back of them. Monty

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the UK.

In answer to your question:

I will agree with others and say "Yes I have seen this before & its called Willow Pattern".

Got any other questions?

We are here to please ;D

Upvote 0

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a Nanking or Nanking style platter.Due to the amount of crazing on your platter it looks to be very old.Where did you find it? You may find what you are looking for by googling antique Chinese porcelain nanking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for that gods country girl,
you would not believe me if i told you where i found them, there where 3 broken platters , they where with some other plates.

Attachments

• potery1.jpg
    potery1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 246
  • doves1.jpg
    doves1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 251
  • stemer1.jpg
    stemer1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
OP