Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chollar Mine

Click here for Video

Explore the rich geological and cultural history of one of the great mines of the Comstock Lode !
Go deep underground and discover how the miners of the Gold Rush extracted the wealth that made Virginia City famous.
See what they were looking for in Silver ore.
The Richest place on Earth !!!! The gold and silver brought thousands across America to risk it all and seek their fortune. First staked in 1859, Virginia City’s Chollar Mine ( later the Chollar-Potosi ) was one of the leading producers on the Comstock.
Over the next 80 plus years, miners blasted and hauled out some $17 million in gold and silver.
Discover how the mines were built, the geological significance of the rocks and what it meant to the men who dug here. Chollar Mine historic mine tour is a “must-see” on your next trip to Virginia City, Nevada.
The Underground Mine Tour Explore a real gold and silver mine and experience the working conditions of a Comstock Lode miner. Experienced guides lead guests on a 400 foot level walk down an old mine tunnel.
The tunnel can get a bit tight before you eventually reach a room called a “stope”. Along the way, your guide will point out the methods used to excavate and maintain the mine shafts. Guests will hear stories of the day-to-day conditions that the miners labored under and even the superstitions that they held! For a brief moment, guests will even get a taste of the real-life working conditions so long ago — as the guide lights a candle to show how the miners worked in the darkness! Note:
As you will be walking into a real underground mine, be aware that it can be somewhat wet and muddy.
The famous sticky, blue/gray mud that clung to miners’ picks and shovels is still around.
One must watch both your head and your step due to low timbers and ore car rail on the floor.
This is not a tour for claustrophobics. The Chollar Mine was established in 1859 by a group of prospectors headed up by William ( Billy ) Chollar. Within a few years the claim was sold to the Bank of California (The Bank of California financed a number of mining operations of the Comstock Lode, and repossessed some mines when their owners defaulted, and ultimately generated enormous profits as a result. )
who had the wherewithall to launch a large underground operation.
The Chollar eventually produced $17,000,000 in both silver and gold. The mining technology of the time was surprisingly sophisticated with underground generators, pneumatic drills and square set timbering. As riches “poured” out from underground, the world of the 1860’s and 1870’s was watching​

Attachments

• Chollar Mine.jpg
    Chollar Mine.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 28

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread