Christmas Eve Hunt: Super Rare Mexican Republic TWO Reales

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Got out on Christmas Eve and the Cane Field Bandits dug three silvers. I got a 1785 half real first in the morning. Took a little on site lunch then dug a 1837 Mexican Republic TWO Reales in absolute great shape! Seems it is a fairly rare coin: Stack's Bowers Galleries - Lot #8303 - MEXICO. Potosi. 2 Reales, 1837-PiJS.
This is about all that I can find about this coin. Another Tnet member did supply me with this informatiuon: "Hello Shane, and Merry Christmas !

Your coin is a 2R from Guanajuato, Mexico, one of 14 Mexican mints to use this design during the Republic period.
On your coin, the mint mark for Guanajuato is "G" with a small "o" within the G.
The assayer(s) were the initials PJ who were on this variety, intermittently, from 1834 to 1842. That mint was opened in 1825 and closed in 1900. Your coin should have a diameter of 27mm.
All the best--and thanks for the question; any time.
Don......"

Then not long after I dug this one buckleboy pulled a 1802 half real out. What Christmas gifts!!!

Attachments

• 100_5365.JPG
    100_5365.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_5366.JPG
    100_5366.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_5367.JPG
    100_5367.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_5368.JPG
    100_5368.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Upvote 12

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is too cool

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
That Republic of Mexico 2 Reales is one stunningly beautiful coin!! :occasion14:

Seems that Santa had someone on the "Nice List" and the Christmas Eve hunt was very successful and rewarding.

Congratulations on a rare find, in superb condition. To find a large silver coin like that, with virtually no wear, and having survived the plow nearly unscathed, is an extraordinary feat!

Republic of Mexico coinage is much rarer to find in 19th century American sites, than the earlier Spanish Colonial pieces. With Republic of Mexico coinage only being issued for a few years, and adding in the rapidly changing political turmoil in Mexico during the period, creates for a challenging find. Whenever the Republic of Mexico coins do show on occasion, seems they are either the big 8 Reales, or the small 1/2 and 1 Reales. The 2 and 4 Reales of Republic of Mexico are just about as rare as can be, in regards to found coins!

This is undoubtedly a Banner Worthy find, and my vote is in!

CC Hunter

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I am still so excited..........and to think I dug an 8 reales about 20 yards from the spot that this 2 reales came out at. Buckleboy did tell me that it's really unusual to find a 2 or 4 reales.........now 4 reales is on my bucket list as well as a gold coin. But whose are they not?? Cheers, Shane

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been amazing watching the hunts you all are making. The silver has been unbelievable . That is a great coin. I hope that you do an end of the year post/video with champagne glasses clinking.
Nice coin Shane. Congratulations.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks TNMOUNTAINS, it has in fact been a heck of a year!! I am anxious to write a year end post and we will certainlly toast to an unusually productive year! Cheers, Happy New Year!!~~~Shane

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
cobrasvo90 said:
Awesome finds! Where were these found?
In a sugar cane field in Southern Louisiana.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!! Thats great!! I live super close to Mexico and never find sweet finds like those.
We dug 19 Mexican Spanish coins in 2012. The greater majority were recovered from a spot where a tavern stood in late 1700s to early 1800s. You have to remember that Spanish settled Louisiana a long time ago!! If yuor near Mexico, keep that coil to the soil and my guess is that you will get you a Spanish sooner or later! Cheers, thanks for your replies and comments HH~~ Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread