Christmas Eve Miracle: MY FIRST GW BUTTON!!!!

ContinentalClint

Sep 10, 2013
Southeast MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out for a short, hour and a half hunt at a farm that I've been hitting almost weekly for the past three years. I've dug silver halves, coppers, buttons, jewelry... Everything from there. I thought for sure this place was almost hunted out, but I proved myself wrong. On the first swing of the day, I got a deep 13:46 on the E Trac and popped out a 1945 Merc! After about 45 minutes of digging clad and junk, I flipped up the plug, scraped out the dirt at the bottom, and saw a folded disc sitting there. Thinking it was just a piece of a pocket watch or something, I picked it up and started to bend it brush it a bit. When I saw the wing of the Chicken Hawk, I almost passed out. Two weird things about it stuck out to me. The first was the fact that last year on Christmas Eve, I went to the same exact site and found 3 coppers and a 1901 S half. The other weird thing was that I know that I've walked over that exact spot at least 10 times. Within a 20 square foot area, I've found an 1802 large cent, 1832 Nova Scotia copper, and a New York coat button.
Anyways, definitely my best find ever. If anyone can help me ID the exact variety, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419476246.295700.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419476269.312598.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419476284.631042.jpg

I believe it's this variety, but if anyone knows for sure I'd love to know. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 19

Duke

Jun 11, 2009
Woodstock N.Y.
Detector(s) used
QXT
I've found coins that I've walked over twenty times but don't listen to averyone that says a place is dug out they probly don't have an etrac anyway

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Clint!!! Thats a find of a life time for me...Its definitely on my bucket list..
I think i would like that better then a gold coin...
George

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! It's the saturated ground here in New England right now that probably helped. I went to a local football field today and found 46 clad coins in less than 2 hours! And I would have bet any money that this field was just about hunted out.

Keep hunting as much as possible this week. The saturated ground conditions won't last!

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your a lucky man to have a sweet spot like that. Congratz on the find for sure!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most excellent find indeed. congrats!

OP
OP
ContinentalClint

ContinentalClint

Sep 10, 2013
Southeast MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find! It's the saturated ground here in New England right now that probably helped. I went to a local football field today and found 46 clad coins in less than 2 hours! And I would have bet any money that this field was just about hunted out.

Keep hunting as much as possible this week. The saturated ground conditions won't last!

Yeah it's been raining for days on end up here. It definitely helped with the signals for sure!

OP
OP
ContinentalClint

ContinentalClint

Sep 10, 2013
Southeast MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found coins that I've walked over twenty times but don't listen to averyone that says a place is dug out they probly don't have an etrac anyway

Funny thing is I think I'm the only one whose ever detected there! I never give up on that site though, it never fails to produce.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the GW button.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Wow, great find! The video is great, you can see your hand trembling from the excitement. Christmas is full of miracles, Merry Christmas!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Clint! Hoping that's next for my lifetime goals list find :-).
If you have it professionally restored it won't hurt the value as long as it's done "professionally". I have a book with the GWs and can try to nail down the exact variety if you're still looking. Merry Christmas and what a Christmas it is for you

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The GW button is Incredible and finding it on video makes it even better. Sharing the excitement of recovering a Once in a Lifetime find is something We all wish would be possible when recovering Our best finds. I hope you can get it professionally restored as this is a Great part of our American History. I'm voting Banner, Congrats and Merry Christmas, Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
ContinentalClint

ContinentalClint

Sep 10, 2013
Southeast MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The GW button is Incredible and finding it on video makes it even better. Sharing the excitement of recovering a Once in a Lifetime find is something We all wish would be possible when recovering Our best finds. I hope you can get it professionally restored as this is a Great part of our American History. I'm voting Banner, Congrats and Merry Christmas, Bill

Do you know where the best place to get it restored would be?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread