Church hunt yields my first buffalo nickel and some long overdue silver

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Well, after hunting schools and beaches, i've been getting tired of the same ol' clad all the time. I decided to branch off and got permission to hunt a late 1800's church.
I did pretty good at the beginning finding an old pocket spill with 3 wheats, 1st buffalo nickel, a 1920, and a "former" 1943 steel penny. The next target would be a 1936 wheat. I kept hunting and finding $2.39 in clad and a religious token, but i did luck out with a silver(?) boy scout buckle. Towards the end, I rechecked my holes where i found the old coins. I was getting scratchy high silver tones in both of them. Both targets pinpointed to 6", and as i scooped the loose soil with my hands i pulled a 1945 quarter where i found the buffalo and wheats, and a 1940s merc in the spot where i found the single wheat. After that i took a little nap, got some dinner and went to my usual school spot and found a 1926 buffalo, a silver jesus medal, a 1917 wheat that gave off a solid tone(even at 6") and a girl scout pin. Nice day for detecting and finally some silver after a month of just clad. Picture 004.jpg
Here's the pin and buckle. The jewelry below is all junk, from a few days agoPicture 005.jpgPicture 006.jpg PS. I miss upstate. The old stuff is much shallower from the rocky soil. I'll be back in the fall!

Upvote 0
Congrats on the buff's and the silver SMS88... I have hunted several old churches, and have always found silver there... Thanks for sharing...

HH Robert

Really cool finds around that church. The boy scout kerchief holder isn't silver, but right now I can't think of what it is. One of those senior moments I guess. Congrats on the really neat finds, and way to go on that silver. Remember to allways recheck your holes, lots of times there are more goodies still down there. Keep em coming!

Hmmmm, a boyscout neck slide and a girlscout pin. I wonder what these two were doing to lose these. ::) Congratulations on your nice finds.

That's an excellent day of metal detection!

Congratulations!

Ridley

Love those silver coins.. Good mix of finds keep it fun. I just wanted to comment on the steel penny, yours is the first one I've seen posted, but I don't read all the posts .I found one a couple of months ago and posted it on another forum.It was pretty rusty ,but the lincoln profile was easy to see. I remember it gave a high tone on my discovery 3300.I think they are rare finds for a detector.. HH .. Good Stuff... 8)

Attachments

• steel1 bh 3300.jpg
    steel1 bh 3300.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 198
Nice finds
Any ideas on the picture holder above the broken key. I have found three myself, some say its a picture necklace from Sears??
HH

Great stuff. A wide variety like you found is more exciting than about anything. Old church yards have always been productive for me. I dug a "diamond" ring at a tot lot today and about went wild until I put on my glasses... Rats, another fake!

Keep on swingin'.

Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back