What's new

Cistern?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went exploring a few weeks ago. In the middle of the woods I stumble upon this. All made of concrete, the older kind with lots of pebbles. I am guessing it is a cistern of some kind since it is full of water. About 50 feet down hill from the cistern is this rectangle concrete box in the ground, just beyond this are 6 smaller evenly spaced concrete squares. They are not in a straight line but are laid out on an angle and running down hill. It's a gradual hill, not too steep and at the bottom is a small stream. There is nothing else around except some old clay type pieces of pipe (see picture) The area is completely grown over with trees and bushes and vines. I am wondering if anyone out there may know what this once was? And maybe how old it is? Thanks. :icon_pirat:
 

Attachments

  • cistern1.webp
    cistern1.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 650
  • cistern2.webp
    cistern2.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 630
  • cistern3.webp
    cistern3.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 638
  • cistern4.webp
    cistern4.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 638
  • cistern5.webp
    cistern5.webp
    37.6 KB · Views: 623
  • cistern6.webp
    cistern6.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 628
  • Cistern Diagram.webp
    Cistern Diagram.webp
    2.7 KB · Views: 635
Monty said:
Look for remains of old road or trail leading up to the structures and try to figure out where it originates. Monty

That's a good idea, next time I am out that way I will do just that!
 
Upvote 0
Watering holes on a farm?
With a underground irrigation system for cattle?
Brady
 
Upvote 0
I found a structure like that in the woods by me. There is a rectangular trough at the bottom of a hill. Uphill there is a natural spring running. Right next to the spring is a round cistern or well. I think the rectangular one is for watering livestock. There is a foundation for what looks like a barn close by. The round one I think was for water for the house. found out this was an old horse farm back in the 1800's.
 
Upvote 0
Iron based things underwater actually last longer than things on top of the ground and in the dirt because of the lack of oxygen in the water. Monty
 
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
I stumble upon this. All made of concrete, the older kind with lots of pebbles. If that's the case it would not hold water! the house I had from 1898 had a loose aggregate cement foundation and water came through it like a sieve!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom