✅ SOLVED Civil War Artillery items

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During todays hunt, on private property, in which the land owner said once had an Artillery gun emplacement on, I found the two items below. I faintly see an "A" On the large button. on the backside of this Officer button I can not seem to identify the backmark. Also, I found some unique brass loops (chain). I wonder if these were for any Artillery purposes? The two middle links are double looped, indicating that it needed added strength to support whatever item it was connected to. Can any of you weigh in on the links or the backmark? Thanks?
IMG_1685.jpeg
IMG_1684.jpeg
IMG_1683.jpeg
IMG_1682.jpeg
IMG_1681.jpeg
IMG_1678.jpeg

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button looks like Waterbury Button Co. Federal Artillery. Dating it would depend on factors like font, additional marks like stars or dots, being able to determine if the rings near the shank are solid, dotted, single double etc... The lettering is depressed, rather than raised and doesn't appear to be in a recessed channel. They look as if they may be serif, the T with the verdigris looks serif.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button looks like Waterbury Button Co. Federal Artillery. Dating it would depend on factors like font, additional marks like stars or dots, being able to determine if the rings near the shank are solid, dotted, single double etc... The lettering is depressed, rather than raised and doesn't appear to be in a recessed channel. They look as if they may be serif, the T with the verdigris looks serif.
Thanks, good stuff. A day in the woods is only made better by a day finding out about history!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread