Civil War bullet given to me when I was a child

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi all,

This is a Civil War bullet that was given to me when I was around 8 years old. It belonged to my grandfather before he died. It was one of a full box of them that had a white powder (talcum?) all over them. I seen this box personally. He kept the box in a chest full of his most prized posessions.

I just would like to know more about this bullet and what fired it. Why the white powder? Is it worth more unfired or fired (like I would part with it.). Could someone post a picture of a full box of bullets? if possible? I have been doing a little research on local skirmishes and would like to teach my kids about the war before it is all but forgotten.

Any info is appreciated,

Thanks!
Soupbone

Attachments

• CWbullet.JPG
    CWbullet.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 859
Upvote 0

mobrigade

Feb 23, 2005
Missouri
It appears to be a .58 three ringer, although not work much monetarily (about 3.00) it can't be replaced in sentimental value....What area are you from, there folks from all over on here and can help you out. The white is from oxidizing in the soil, its a natural process that happens to lead when it is left in the ground for a long time.

Thanks for posting,

Paul

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
My grandfather lived in Birmingham, AL when he died. How could this be oxidation when the bullets were new in the box?.. age? moisture?

Thanks for the reply,
Soupbone

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
I think there are two substances on this bullet. The oxidation, which is the whiter substance. And the brown substance which used to be white. It is now brown from years of us kids handling it.

Hope this explains it better.

Soup

retiredgun

Jun 8, 2006
Cortlandt Manor, NY
dharris324 said:
My grandfather lived in Birmingham, AL when he died. How could this be oxidation when the bullets were new in the box?.. age? moisture?

Thanks for the reply,
Soupbone

Yes, age and moisture (dampness) will oxidixze lead. The lead does not have to be in the ground only in a damp environment.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Thanks retiredgun. I have seen this oxidation on other lead items throughout the years. I guess the question I am asking is. What did the Manufacturer pack the bullets in to prevent this type of oxidtion. I am guessing it would be some sort of talcum powder to prevent moisture.

Does this sound right?

Thanks,
SoupBone

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Someone posted a pic of a 3 ringer with the paper wrap and powder still intact a while back. They carried them around in a leather cartridge box. You can still see them on some of the sites that sell civil war relics. As far as value, not much besides knowing you have one and most other people don't.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Thanks so for the great info Gribnitz,

That answers my question! I will look around for that post. If anyone comes by it please post the picture here.

Thanks again,
Soupbone

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Here you go, I found it...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,42690.0.html

This type of paper and wrap bullets were pre-made for faster firing, but soldiers also made thier own bullets in the field with a bullet mold and 'issue lead' that they melted. There were a lot of guns of different calibers used then and it would have been hard to supply everyone with the proper bullet for their particular gun, so they made thier own ammo.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Thanks Gribnitz,

Thinking back, the bullets I saw were not packaged in this manner. They were in a white box in rows covered in powder. My great, great grandfather was a collector of Civil War relics and money. I was told he had a lot of Confederate paper money and coins to include gold coins as well.

After my grandfather died the estate was devided up between five brothers and sisters. My uncle Martin received a lot of the Civil War relics to include the coins and money. His son as I understand it took some or all of this money and spent it or traded it on whatever he wanted in return without his fathers knowledge.

We do not see a lot of him anymore. I think he was banished from society.

Soupbone

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Soupbone,
I see you are in North Alabama. What part? I am about 10 miles west of Florence in Lauderdale County.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi dnewbury2,

I live a little south of Guntersville, AL. What kind of hunting do you do? relic, coinshooting.... What kind od detector do you have?

Good to know there is another MDer close by.

Soupbone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread