Civil War Bullet Question

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,

I'm new to this board and have been impressed with the knowledge here. Look, I just want to get some ideas from you more experienced guys. It is my understanding that an Enfield could fire a .58 minnie ball as well as the .577. I have also been told that you can tell if a minnie ball has been fired by a Springfield or an Enfield by ramrod marks left on the bullet. It has been expressed to me that Enfield ramrod marks will have a shallow mark (kind of like a turned-over soup bowl) whereas the Springfield ramrod mark will have a deeper, coned-shape mark. I have posted below examples of a few bullets I've found last weekend. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this? Thanks. I'm really enjoying this board!

Attachments

• raymond-58-1.JPG
    raymond-58-1.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 419
  • raymond-58-2.JPG
    raymond-58-2.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 410
  • bb-58-1.JPG
    bb-58-1.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 0
callicles said:
Hey guys,

I'm new to this board and have been impressed with the knowledge here. Look, I just want to get some ideas from you more experienced guys. It is my understanding that an Enfield could fire a .58 minnie ball as well as the .577. I have also been told that you can tell if a minnie ball has been fired by a Springfield or an Enfield by ramrod marks left on the bullet. It has been expressed to me that Enfield ramrod marks will have a shallow mark (kind of like a turned-over soup bowl) whereas the Springfield ramrod mark will have a deeper, coned-shape mark. I have posted below examples of a few bullets I've found last weekend. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this? Thanks. I'm really enjoying this board!
I would love to help you mate, but l know absolutely zero about bullets : And from the lack of any response from the members here it would seem that there are no experts here either. Hutch.

I'll try. Both are 58 cal bullets, U.S.mine is 575. dia. the enfield is 577. I have shot both bullets out of a Enfield. Enfield bullet gave supurb accurasy at 100 yds. U.S. mine gave lousy accurasy out of the enfield. Spring field did great with the U.S.mini, 577 enfield was a thighter fit when loaded, had good acurasy at 100yds. But yes you could shoot both out of both rifles. Besides the accurasy both sides were just shooting as much lead as they could at the enemy. : less than 100yds. hope this helps.

You are correct on rammer cone depths - I would GUESS that, based on the rammer cone depth, the second bullet was rammed home with a Springfield rammer - no telling what either round was actually fired out of. the first bullet is more deformed but looks to have been rammed with a shallower Enfield rammer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back