What's new

CIVIL WAR BULLET???

jersey devl

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
335
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
I dont know much about these things so I figured Id ask the pros...found it at a local park on the outskirts of town about 9" deep...the bottom is flat (not hollow looking) with a smal (1/8th) diameter circle on it tho...I figured it may be CW with the rings on her ...any info is much appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • bullet.webp
    bullet.webp
    11.3 KB · Views: 327
Size does matter! How big around? caliber is done in hundredth of an inch or metric.It looks like a cast musket or rifle bullet un shot because I cannot see any rifle marks
 
Upvote 0
A musket wouldn't leave rifle marks but the bullet would usually be somewhat deformed. It looks like it would be a bullet from the CW era, but not necessarily a civil war bullet. Was there any kind of CW engagement or camp in that area? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Looks like it could be a Civil war Williams cleaner bullet to me, common but nice find. I couldn’t find a good link to a picture. They came in two and three rings varieties and the small hole in the base was for the tail piece that did the cleaning as it was shot.
 
Upvote 0
If it is around a 44 cal.it might be a Hayes (MM-121) or Adams Revolver (MM-124).But not sure about the small hole in the bottom.But just my guess without the size of dia. and lgth.But a very nice find :thumbsup:

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys...it measures 11/16" long by 7/16 in diameter (I dont have any mics)...it may just be a .44cal., There was no CW activity in this area that I know of , but our sister city to the west of us was quite the hub of civilization 'round these parts back then so it might not be impossible to have had troops comming through...concerning the bottom it is more of just a circle in the bottom as opposed to a hole...may just be CW era styled I guess I think its pretty cool tho so its a keeper for me anyways!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom