What's new

Civil War Enfield Bullet Question

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have several CW .577 Enfield bullets with a letter, a symbol, or a number(s) in the base. Does anyone know what each of these base marks means? I've searched the internet to find a chart/graph, but to no avail. Some of the examples of the ones I have are marked with a "L" a "triangle," a raised "circle," the number "55," etc. The one pictured below has an "L." Thanks in advance, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • LBaseEnfield.webp
    LBaseEnfield.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 508
Thanks Rando, the 2nd website I had bookmarked, but not the first. Although they ID the bullet, they don't tell what the base mark means. It should be a chart; if not, we can make one. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
nova treasure said:

Bill, Great minds must run together.(Great for you, but I'm running a little slow this afternoon; lol) I was just on this website, and found out the 'whys' of having a base mark, yet still no answers on what each one means, nor can I find which ones were made at home by the CSA and those that were made in England. Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie:

As stated on page 41 of McKee and Mason's "Civil War Projectiles II":

"Meaning of the numerals, letters and symbols is not known. It is believed that some have reference to British points of manufacture and some of them to caliber or bullet size. Assuming that the US and CS seen in some bullets are legitimate markings, then those two would be obvious. With possible exception of the US and CS, any marked bullets were probably imported."

Hope this helps--I know it helped me!
 
Upvote 0
kyphote said:
Breezie:

As stated on page 41 of McKee and Mason's "Civil War Projectiles II":

"Meaning of the numerals, letters and symbols is not known. It is believed that some have reference to British points of manufacture and some of them to caliber or bullet size. Assuming that the US and CS seen in some bullets are legitimate markings, then those two would be obvious. With possible exception of the US and CS, any marked bullets were probably imported."

Hope this helps--I know it helped me!

Ooooookay, I think I can green check this one as 'solved,' since the answers are unknown. All the people who really knew are dead.

With this being said, how did/do they determine which base marked Enfields are the most valuable and/or rare?

Thanks Spooky, Nova, and Kyphote

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Though some are unknown, I did discover that your L stands for A.Ludlum, an English manufacturer. As for worth, do the following resemble your raised "55" and "circle" bullets? If so, wow! :o
 

Attachments

  • bulletmarks.webp
    bulletmarks.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 388
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom