What's new

Civil war era bullet ?.

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,453
Reaction score
10,833
Golden Thread
0
Looks like def a struck bullet maybe two rings it's hard to tell
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3845.webp
    IMG_3845.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 155
Upvote 5
Someone on civil war talk site said it might be a heeled rimfire
 
Lots going on there, bullet has seen better days. Looks to be a flat base which points to a breech loaded round. Almost looks like 2 bullets, 1 impacting the other in the rear. (Think sharps hitting a Gardner straight in the back). What is the weight and diameter(best you can) of the very bottom portion?
 
Lots going on there, bullet has seen better days. Looks to be a flat base which points to a breech loaded round. Almost looks like 2 bullets, 1 impacting the other in the rear. (Think sharps hitting a Gardner straight in the back). What is the weight and diameter(best you can) of the very bottom portion?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3851.webp
    IMG_3851.webp
    4.3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3853.webp
    IMG_3853.webp
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3854.webp
    IMG_3854.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
Turn the calipers 90 degrees so as not to catch the flat spot.

I’m at a loss. If it is in fact CW (not saying it is) the condition does not lend itself to an easy id (for me).
 
Had an arms guy say he's never seen a CW bullet like that and it's probably muzzleload round but not super old
 
Looked at it again. Think I see riflings on the back and about halfway up that don’t line up and aren’t same width. Can you look close and confirm that? If that’s the case the 2 bullet theory may hold water. Still not saying it’s cw, but that white color says old.

Was anything found close by that may help id?
 
Pretty sure that is a Civil War era Ringtail Sharps. I have found many of these, dropped and fired, and that's what immediately came to mind when I saw it, so I tweaked the pic for a better look.
bulletid.webp
bulletid.webp
 
Pretty sure that is a Ringtail Sharps. I have found many of these, dropped and fired, and that's what immediately came to mind when I saw it, so I tweaked the pic for a better look.
Pretty sure that is a Civil War era Ringtail Sharps. I have found many of these, dropped and fired, and that's what immediately came to mind when I saw it, so I tweaked the pic for a better look.
Should have thought of that. Good possibility. Still want to confirm if the are riflings in the base. If so (I assume) not a ringtail. The “tail” wouldn’t have touched riflings, would they?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom