What's new

Civil War era??? I dont know??

21stTNCav

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
928
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Civil War era??? I don't know??

These were found in South Texas on the coast, thus the blackened lead. I would post a single picture but this is all I have on the camera and I am not close to the items to take another right now.
The Minnie balls are of course on top along with a period knife that was broken into two half's.(at least). The second row has a I don't know, a turn hasp from a box, and the little stirrup thing with a broken end. The last row has two lead poker chips made from bullets(I think) and a 1865 Indian head( Don't ask me to get a better picture, I can barley make out the date or Indian head myself.).

Does anyone know what the little stirrup looking thing is?? Anyone ever seen one before?? Not me.
 

Attachments

  • 077.webp
    077.webp
    147 KB · Views: 404
Re: Civil War era??? I don't know??

21stTNCav wrote:
> Does anyone know what the little stirrup looking thing is??

It appears to be part of a brass scabbard-hanger clip from a swordbelt. You've got the part which the leather hanger-strap attached to. The clip part is broken off. This particular type of scabbard-hanger clip was in use from the early 1800s all the way through to today ...which makes dating your broken one with absolute certainty almost impossible. However, as yours was found near the Minie-balls, I think it is safe to say yours is "probably" from the civil war era.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War era??? I don't know??

nice collection of finds well done
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War era??? I don't know??

Ahhhhhh, a brass scabbard hanging clip!!! Makes sense!!!! Thanks all.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War era??? I don't know??

We often forget that the Spanish, and later (1820's), the Mexican Army occupied this area.

Following the CW, (a four year period), the US Calvary patroled these parts.

The CW was a blip-in-time compared to other potential contributors.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War era??? I don't know??

I figured you'd like to see a photo of an intact (unbroken) specimen from the civil war era -- but all the photos I could find show the entire sword-belt, on which the scabbard-hanger's swivel-snap is too small for you to see very well in the image. So here's a photo of a modern Reproduction of the civil war version, made for use by battle re-enactors.

As Stefen posted while I was typing my reply, and as I mentioned in my previous reply, this type was used before, during, and (long) after the civil war. But considering the Minie-balls you dug in the same area, yours is "probably" from the 1861-65 era.
 

Attachments

  • sword-hanger_snap-swivel_ebay420.gif
    sword-hanger_snap-swivel_ebay420.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War era??? I don't know??

That is it no doubt. Thanks a lot for clearing it up. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War era??? I don't know??

Ffuries, thank you very much. :) That "collage" photo is even more educational than the photo I was looking for. I've now saved it into my folder of relic-photos, for use the next time a digger asks for an ID.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War era??? I don't know??

Looks like minnie balls for an 1855 Musket Rifle that was once standard military issue for the US both Union and Confederacy. (depending on the bullet diameter)? The little stirrup looking thing looks like a rear rifle sling attachment for the same rifle. It fit just in front of the trigger guard. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom