What's new

Civil War era Pipe ?

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
455
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this pipe yesterday while doing some digging here under the house. It was among ALOT of pottery pieces and almost complete dinnerware pieces. My home was built in the 1800's and has been added on a couple of times. It actually seems with all the pottery shards and other finds that they might have just dumped a bunch of unwanted things and shallow buried it and than built over it :icon_scratch:.

Anyway the pipe stem has been broken off some but it clearly reads: Grout & Williams on the one side and Clifton st. SW on the other side. I am hoping someone might have some info on the makers and more precise time era.

Thanks, Bill
 

Attachments

  • Clay pipe found Dec 10 2010 004.webp
    Clay pipe found Dec 10 2010 004.webp
    18 KB · Views: 571
  • Clay pipe found Dec 10 2010 002.webp
    Clay pipe found Dec 10 2010 002.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 702
Which way was this pointing when you dug it uP? Might want to go 7 feet that direction OR go 7 feet or pases that direction or SW direction. Also, keep digging where you dug this up....might be more Good stuff there under the trash.
 
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
Bill

Have not found much, but appears they were from London and the era would be Victorian, sorry, hopefully someone has more data for you.


http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/ads...mination/pdf/vol02/vol02_16/02_16_410_413.pdf

Don

Thanks Don, I have been trying to find more info, but haven't found anything yet to show info that it's earlier than Victorian. Thank you for the info, I was happy that there was enough stem to get a makers name. it don't happen often on the clays.

Bill
 
Upvote 0
Who did you buy this off of? :tongue3:
Keep digging Bill, I can tell the ground is frozen when your resorting to digging under the house.
We will get above freezing before too long I hope.
Nice find bud. :icon_thumleft:

Hill
 
Upvote 0
Hill Billy said:
Who did you buy this off of? :tongue3:
Keep digging Bill, I can tell the ground is frozen when your resorting to digging under the house.
We will get above freezing before too long I hope.
Nice find bud. :icon_thumleft:

Hill

>:(
Wasn't a plan to dig under the house, but didn't want a short in the newly installed electric pipe tape, so i was rewarded for the trouble.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom