Civil War Field Candle Holder

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a flea market today and saw this laying on a table and I bought it. I dug a few of these years ago, so I knew what it was, but I’ve never seen one with the patent date of Nov 1861 before. Has anyone else seen one marked like this? Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572038950.811673.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572038971.324728.jpg

Upvote 20
Nice flea market find! :occasion14:

That is an especially nice flea market find! :icon_thumright:

Cool find, I doubt it is a "field" candle holder though. No need to carry candle holders around, just put candle on a rock or log, any bottle top, no need to haul iron objects around to use candles.

Definitely a nice piece but I think "civil war era" is a little more accurate than "civil war" not to nitpick I'm just saying

Here's one with the patent date 1861 on worthpoint. Some members here have an account at that site that may assist you at what it sold for.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/civil-war-patent-candle-holder-sekela-1568345196

Civil War Patent Candle Holder By Sekela. Marked "Patd Nov 1861" on top. Spike can be put into a piece of wood to hold a candle, and when candle gets too short it can be put on the spike end to get the full use out of your candles. There are original examples of these pictured in Lord's Civil War Encyclopedia.

Last edited:
Great find! I would have read it Pat. Nov 1981 and assumed it was worthless.

Nice find. I have one I dug out of a five foot deep Civil War hut pit a few years ago. Mine doesn't have any patent dates on it, so I can't help with that. These were really popular with Union soldiers during the war.

Hi Candle light in the dark makes for an easy kill for a sniper . TP

Hi Candle light in the dark makes for an easy kill for a sniper . TP
Or it's used as a decoy to draw fire out of that sniper in order to get a bead on his muzzle flash.

Last edited:
Cool find, I doubt it is a "field" candle holder though. No need to carry candle holders around, just put candle on a rock or log, any bottle top, no need to haul iron objects around to use candles.

But I did find two relic ones in early Union camps back in the 70’s (and apparently so did worm-slicer), so they did use them in the field.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back