civil war field hospital question

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
There's a guy that offered to take me to two old rice plantations, One is just foundations and the structure is still standing at the other. The one that is just foundation used to be a makeshift field hospital during the civil war. They are both overgrown and way off the beaten path and he is positive they have never been hunted. hHe does not know the name of the plantation. My question is...Is there any way to do reasearch on C.W. hospitals in N.C. I would like to reasearch some before I visit the site, Also how would I approach hunting a site like that? Where to start etc. etc. He will be probing the ground for a privy to dig and I will be detecting.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
try your local library. the librarian should be able to point you in the right direction.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If either were used as a field hospital then perhaps a garbage dump that bloodied uniforms were tossed can be found. SC buttons would have value as well as other regimental buttons. Depending on how high the growth is and the population of the local rattlesnakes, I'd invest some money in having someone go in with a tractor and bush hog. Never hunt alone as there might be an open well and that is a TH'ers worst nightmare is falling into a well and there is no one to fish him out.
Go to the library and ask for inter-library loan book, then look under History of SC regiments, or First SC Volunteers, Second SC and so forth. You may have to read a lot of books but keep a pad of paper to jot down notes and maybe you'll find that plantation listed especially if some wounded soldier stayed while recovering and he wrote home about it. Also go to the County Court house and see if the have the old Gov't Survey plats of that area that date back to 1850's. If they weren't destroyed during the Civil War, it will give you an idea of the terrain around it. Good luck.
Harry Rainey, Jr.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread