What's new

Civil war gunbarrell with bayonet still attached!

john glassman

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
708
Reaction score
1,120
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I post over in the bottle forum I dug this bottledigging today!
 

Attachments

  • 20150627_133505.webp
    20150627_133505.webp
    136.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 20150627_133524.webp
    20150627_133524.webp
    163 KB · Views: 213
  • 20150627_133544.webp
    20150627_133544.webp
    119.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 20150627_133531.webp
    20150627_133531.webp
    138.2 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 24
whaaaaaaaaaaat? that's insane, very cool find indeed
congrats!
 
Woooooohhhhhh!!!! Cool man.
 
OMG I would have died! Very cool indeed.
 
That's fantastic! You've gotta apply electrolysis that thing! It's a great find. WTG & HH!
 
Amazing find-congratulations!! Please post more pics after electrolysis.
 
Did you dig it up or find it in a creek or river?
 
Wow, I love that. I've always wanted to find one with the bayonet still attached. What a great display that will make!
 
I just read that you found it bottle digging. That has to be a first-the force was with you!
 
A MAN NAME GLASSMAN WENT OUT TODAY ,TO DIG OLD BOTTLES OUT OF THE DIRT AND CLAY, HE DUG WAY DOWN AND MY GOD WHAT DID HE FIND A MUSKET BARREL AND BAYONET AND IT BLOWED HIS MMMMMMMMMMMINNNNDDDDDDDDDDDD.! DANG THAT IS AWESOME OF A FIND..
 
Wow! That's an awesome find!
Congrats!
 
I saw this earlier, but just had a chance to take a good look at the pics.... Your barrel looks more like its from a break action rifle, rather than a CW era muzzle loader to me because of the lugs at the breech end, which also appears open rather than plugged. Which raises an interesting question.... What the heck is a single shot break action rifle doing with a bayonet on it? I can't think of any that were used by the military off hand.....Can you get a good measurement of the diameter of the muzzle so we can know what caliber it is?
 
Definite Banner in my book! Congratulations on a great find ! Can't wait to see it after electrolysis.
 
Last edited:
A little preservation will show the action and what type of rifle this is. The bayonet does look to be civil war. I am unsure what the rifle is but it will be identified.
Fantastic find!
 
Couldn't find a decent pic online, so I had to take my .410 apart to get a pic of the lugged end... It's not quite the same but close enough to show why I think yours is a break action barrel

100_2814.webp
 
I saw this earlier, but just had a chance to take a good look at the pics.... Your barrel looks more like its from a break action rifle, rather than a CW era muzzle loader to me because of the lugs at the breech end, which also appears open rather than plugged. Which raises an interesting question.... What the heck is a single shot break action rifle doing with a bayonet on it? I can't think of any that were used by the military off hand.....Can you get a good measurement of the diameter of the muzzle so we can know what caliber it is?
I measured gun barrlell is 28 inches long the bore is 1/2 inch
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom