What's new

Civil War Hat?....HELP

booandnini

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband has this hat that we think is possibly from the civil war era....but could be completely wrong!! I believe it came from his Grandfather's home - which could have come from another relative or ???

The label inside the hat reads: Schuele Pepper and Kostens
Annapolis, MD
I believe this is the taylor that made the hat?

If you know any information about this hat, please let me know.
 

Attachments

  • photo1.webp
    photo1.webp
    86.7 KB · Views: 451
  • photo2.webp
    photo2.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 461
  • photo3.webp
    photo3.webp
    82.3 KB · Views: 477
  • photo4.webp
    photo4.webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 489
  • photo5.webp
    photo5.webp
    67.2 KB · Views: 487
  • photo6.webp
    photo6.webp
    66 KB · Views: 499
  • photo7.webp
    photo7.webp
    60.8 KB · Views: 499
  • photo8.webp
    photo8.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 502
  • photo9.webp
    photo9.webp
    81.3 KB · Views: 551
  • photo10.webp
    photo10.webp
    94.6 KB · Views: 557
Booandnini wrote:
> The label inside the hat reads: Schuele Pepper and Kostens
> Annapolis, MD
> I believe this is the taylor that made the hat?
> If you know any information about this hat, please let me know.

You mis-spelled one of the names in the label. It is Peppler, not Pepper. That made doing websearching for date-information about the company more difficult, but I found the info. According to the book "American Military Buttons and Dealers; Their backmarks & Dates," the Annapolis Maryland firm of Schuele, Peppler, & Kostens was a Tailor-shop, in business from 1920 to 1930.

Also, the US Navy button with the Schuele, Peppler, & Kostens backmark was discussed here on TreasureNet back in 2009. You can still read that discussion, and see the photos in it, at http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=283842.0
 
Upvote 0
Thank you for all the info.... what a great website!!!
 
Upvote 0
I was gonna guess a blue gravy boat, but I would've been wrong.....NGE
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom