🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Civil war lieutenant colonel or major oak leaf pin?

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit my site where I’ve found some other civil war relics and stumbled across this piece. It appears to have the seven frond oak leaf insignia with an attachment on the back with around component that appears to be made of iron and has two wings going off on both sides. There is also a small protrusion at the center of the leaf beneath the attachment that appears to be threaded. Ive seen some epaulettes and shoulder bars with this insignia, but nothing like this. Do any of y’all know what this might be? Thanks in advance for any assistance with this piece.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking it is more like early to mid 20th C - but I can't prove it.

The screwback device reminds me some WWI & WWII badges I've seen, but I can't find anything close on the internet.

I'm not even convinced it is military. Maybe something like a Modern Woodsman of American badge?

Obviously this one isn't a match, but you get the idea. It has a screwback attachment device. Circa 1900.

1958636498494832208.jpg

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. Definitely could be! I found this on a home site that has also produced relics up to around 1910, so it has the possibility of being a civilian pin of some kind. I hadn't considered the threaded attachment in my being post civil war, so I'll do some more research into local organizations and other forestry groups present in 1900 or later.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread