• IMG_7056.JPG
    IMG_7056.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 70

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My WAG is yes. Looks Civil War to me but I'm no expert.

Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply--I thought Civil War too, but many of the CW photos I looked at show a jacket with two rows of buttons instead of one. So still not sure.

I found several examples of CW uniform coats on Google that had one row of buttons.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a little poking around and found the photographer died in 1877. That fact is inconclusive regarding your tintype being CW, but I did discover the photographer's son was in the Union Army. It stands to reason that he would have photographed his son in uniform. Horace B. Wilkinson was mustered in to Company B of the 17th Illinois Volunteer Infantry in 1863. Later he transferred to Company I of the 8th.

Is this the same guy?

HBWilkcompare.JPG

I want to say 'yes' but it's hard to know for sure. Anyone have access to facial recognition software?

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
look at the sword's handle and belt buckle design to assist in dating

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's looks to be a Civil War Union soldier/uniform. Y'all really know I wanted to say 'damn Yankee,' but I didn't . . .LOL Down South we were too poor to have uniforms . . .although some of our boys in gray had them. . .the rest looked like farmers.

All kidding aside, that's a nice tintype.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I did a little poking around and found the photographer died in 1877. That fact is inconclusive regarding your tintype being CW, but I did discover the photographer's son was in the Union Army. It stands to reason that he would have photographed his son in uniform. Horace B. Wilkinson was mustered in to Company B of the 17th Illinois Volunteer Infantry in 1863. Later he transferred to Company I of the 8th.

Thanks so much--this is very helpful!!! I wasn't very clear about the type of photo-- there were several tintypes in the collection but this one is a cabinet card(?) and not metal. Sorry for being misleading!
Is this the same guy?

View attachment 1762608

I want to say 'yes' but it's hard to know for sure. Anyone have access to facial recognition software?

Thanks so much--this is very helpful!!! I wasn't very clear about the type of photo-- there were several tintypes in the collection but this one is a cabinet card(?) and not metal. Sorry for being misleading!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
It's looks to be a Civil War Union soldier/uniform. Y'all really know I wanted to say 'damn Yankee,' but I didn't . . .LOL Down South we were too poor to have uniforms . . .although some of our boys in gray had them. . .the rest looked like farmers.

All kidding aside, that's a nice tintype.

:)
Breezie
Thank you so much for your reply! I apologize for not being too clear at the beginning--there were several tintypes in the collection, but this one is a cabinet (?) card and not metal. Sorry for not being clear on this!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
look at the sword's handle and belt buckle design to assist in dating

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm not sure about the sword but when blown up the buckle, although fuzzy, appears to me to be a Union Eagle plate with silver wreath. Maybe I'm seeing things--not real sure!

Upvote 0

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would vote Civil War. The belt buckle looks like an officer’s with the wreath. The sword is an 1850 Foot Officer.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread