Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today's hunt was pretty unbelievable. Seth Edwards (Pennsylvania Treasures) came down on the train and we went Civil War relic hunting for the day. It was very warm out to begin our hunt, but as time passed, the weather only got worse. At first, we had a little bit of luck and found a few bullets here and there, but after that, things weren't going our way. That was until about 4:30 PM, when we were on the way to a nearby gas station to warm-up. A man at an old house (across the street from where I found a 7 eagle button spill, sword scabbard and bullets) asked us if we had a moment. I already got rejected there before, so I was wondering why he wanted to talk to us. He said that his wife was afraid that we would be keeping everything we found and hiding stuff from him. We told him that we were not interested in the finds and it was just a fun hobby we like to do. Seth said "we like to reconnect with history" and it granted us permission here. The wife and their daughter came from the house with Bounty Hunter metal detector they bought her years before. Seth and I taught her how to use it and she ended up finding a saddle tack iron buckle and a alarm clock gear. The whole family was outside with us and we had a ball. Before the wife and daughter came out, I did a quick swipe of the front strip of the house next to the sidewalk. I found a spill of 1910s wheat pennies and what at the time was an unidentifiable token of sorts. I also found an 1865 Indian head cent there, right along the garden. They asked to keep the finds so they can display them, and I can imagine that girl will be hooked soon. The craziest thing happened. The man hands us $30... Why? I don't know... but he insisted. Wow. We tried to get on a couple more properties before dark, but we didn't have much luck. The first thing I did when I got home was eat some lasagna. Then, we were to clean the token off under some water. We at first noticed some writing and a bust. We quickly tried to identify what the writing was and figured out that it said "George Washington Security" . The token was made of pewter so I assumed it was very old. We quickly sealed the pewter and got to posting some pictures. I posted the pictures on "ID me" (Facebook) and got some incredible information that just blew me away. It was a Civil War dog tag or commonly referred to as a Civil War ID disc. These were worn by soldiers to display information if needed (in case they were injured or died). Under the crust and grime of pewter, the ID disc reads "W.S. Moore 150 R(eg(iment)). -----[Pennsylvania Infantry] E S (which stands for enlisted Soldier) Aug. ----- [19, 1862] (date of enlistment) Chan(cellorsville)." It's an indescribable feeling to be able to figure out that exact person - W.S. Moore from the 150th Regiment of Pennsylvania - made camp in that very spot. Thanks for reading and happy hunting everyone!

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Upvote 35

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story and killer find!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare find.Congratulations

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just insane, just think some soldier took extra time to get that, not alot of them had ID-tags back then and most bodies would remain unclaimed for all time.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find Isaac. How was the lasagne? I may follow that ID me site,I've seen it on Facebook.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never seen one of those... and WOW. Very well done as usual sir!

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[h=1]Moore , William S.[/h] Battle Unit Name:150th Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry
Side:Union
Company:A
Soldier's Rank In:Private
Soldier's Rank Out:Sergeant
Alternate name:

Film Number:M554 ROLL 87
Plaque Number:

Notes: none
Thanks so much! How can I figure out what battles he fought in?
Thanks everyone for all the comments. I can't believe it!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the history we often dig up.... I think finds like this are pretty significant. Great save.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003