Civil War Stamps

Last edited:
Thank you Don, the site you offered did explain it, NOW I understand. In those albums I recovered there are a lot of foreign stamps, I transferred them to a new album. As far as American, I am only going for the years the two albums covered, 1847 to 1966. I have been replacing some used stamps with Mint. because they are so very inexpensive, but keeping the used ones put away, and filling in what I do not have with both Mint and used, depending on what I'm willing to spend. Example being, I will never own say a Scott cat. # 2, an 1847 10c black for $12,000 Mint or the take home price of $1,995 used. Whereas the 1940's Commemoratives in Mint are cheap, such as a set of 1945 Commemoratives (13 stamps) sell for $4.95 in Mint. So....switch them out, and store the used. But I think you are already well aware of all this. Thanks again for the site, I now "get it". Dave

Your CSA stamp (#6) was issued in 1862 (12 million issued). It's worth about 3X more in used condition than in unused (like yours) condition. As is, I'd give it about a $10 retail value.
Don.....
Another pic:
D-s.jpg
Mackaydon, I have seen that on occasion, but why? is that, used CAN be worth more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back