What's new

Clam fossil

Jatrox

Full Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2024
Messages
103
Reaction score
362
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kansas
I was out hunting for knapping chert and brought home this little guy. Didn't notice it till I got it washed off. I was shocked to find it complete
 

Attachments

  • clam fossil 1.webp
    clam fossil 1.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 104
  • clam fossil 2.webp
    clam fossil 2.webp
    284.7 KB · Views: 87
  • clam fossil 3.webp
    clam fossil 3.webp
    233.8 KB · Views: 76
I was out hunting for knapping chert and brought home this little guy. Didn't notice it till I got it washed off. I was shocked to find it complete
What kind of knapping chert are you finding in KS? A neighbor drove through the flint hills and he stopped and grabbed some flint. I managed to make him a couple of points from it. I’ve never been out there.
 
What kind of knapping chert are you finding in KS? A neighbor drove through the flint hills and he stopped and grabbed some flint. I managed to make him a couple of points from it. I’ve never been out there.
I live in the flint hills so, Flint hills flint. Do you want a few more pieces? It's dark grey to blue, some brown. Most of the raw chert I find around here is very similar color to Burlington. I found some flakes at a campsite that had been heat treated and the blue color is awesome so I'm going to try to replicate it
 
I live in the flint hills so, Flint hills flint. Do you want a few more pieces? It's dark grey to blue, some brown. Most of the raw chert I find around here is very similar color to Burlington. I found some flakes at a campsite that had been heat treated and the blue color is awesome so I'm going to try to replicate it
Thanks for the offer but I’ll have to pass. I don’t knap much anymore. I knapped too much and have repetitive motion damage everywhere. Shoulder, elbow, and wrist. I can still make a point now and then but just had to pretty much give it up, even though I hated to. I have several hundred bifaces I should sell. I won’t be working them.
 
Thanks for the offer but I’ll have to pass. I don’t knap much anymore. I knapped too much and have repetitive motion damage everywhere. Shoulder, elbow, and wrist. I can still make a point now and then but just had to pretty much give it up, even though I hated to. I have several hundred bifaces I should sell. I won’t be working them.
Absolutely
 
I don't know much about fossils but on some research this is a brachiopod fossil. Either a Meekella or Hustedia? Anyone who knows feel free to chime in
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom