Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, here is the update! Owner has been identified and I spoke with his wife this evening. The gentleman is still not home, but I hope to speak with him tonight when he returns.

Neil in West Jersey -- You are a rock-star! Great work helping to track the owner down.

Once I can nail down the details on returning the ring I'll post a close-out update.

I am so happy to have found the owner. I wish him many happy years and good memories!

Happy hunting to all,
Steve

We all gotta stick together. Too much negative publicity out there! It's all about team work!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve L.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks,
I wanted to post the up-date and close out to this thread. Sorry I've been so long in closing it out, I was away from home for some travel and have just now confirmed that the owner of the ring received it.

Neil helped me locate the owner, and I was able to contact the owner and his wife by phone. In these discussions I learned that the owner didn't loose the ring. It was lost by his girl-friend (who is now his wife!). It was funny, because I talked to her first on one of the phone calls. She was appropriately reserved in talking to a stranger who was asking some questions about her husband's past -- "did your husband go to High School in Northern Virginia?" and the like. After determining that he had gone to High School in my area, I told her that I thought I had found his class ring. That was when the dam broke and the story flowed out. As it turns out they had dated through High School and she had his class ring. She lost it on the practice field. She said, "you don't know how long I looked for that ring!" It made me feel good to let her know that it would be coming back to her husband after all those years.

A couple of days later I talked to the owner. He was very gracious and surprised. He asked if there was some gift he could provide for a "finder's fee." I told him that I'd prefer he simply donate something to someone in need. They don't live in the area anymore and don't get down this way much, so I told him that I'd just mail it to them. Yesterday I got a note from the owner confirming that they had received the ring. He said he has already been in touch with Balfour, the company that made the ring, to see about repairs. It was funny that in his E-mail he said, "Wow, that ring that was so big back then is really small now." I know just how he feels, 1972 - 1973 is a long time ago and over time I know I've gotten a different perspective on things as the world has gotten smaller and I've gotten larger! :laughing7: The owner wanted me to know that he and his wife visited the battered woman's shelter with provisions of clothing and fresh fruits as a donation, in honor of my request.

It is good; what was once lost has been found. I was happy to see it returned, thanks to the good sleuthing of Neil. I hope the owner and his wife have many happy years together and can occasionally tell the story of the ring lost, found, and returned. Thanks Neil for the good work and assistance.

Happy hunting to all,
Steve

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
U did good steve! Congrats on returning that ring. Wishing u good md karma - I think there's a gold coin in ur future! JB.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread