What's new

Classic Car Dragon Ornament

greg0074

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I found this yesterday MDing around an old farmstead. It looks similar to a 1934 Chevy but not quite. I'm wondering if anyone recognizes it.

IMG00016-20100804-1334.webp​

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1934-chevrolet-flying-eagle-hood-ornament
 
That might be a swan. If so it is a Packard emblem Monty
 
Upvote 0
"Wyvern" would be my guess from the shape of it, possibly could have been a "dragon". Can't find a car with it as the emblem though, not looked much to be truthful..it's late lol.
 
Upvote 0
Found this with a dragon hood ornament image search.
 

Attachments

  • hoodorn.webp
    hoodorn.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,564
Upvote 0
It looks like a 1934 Chevrolet stylized Eagle radiator cap ornament designed by William Schnell and Eric S. Carlson, Jan 2nd 1934. It has also been mistakenly identified as a Phoenix bird, a Gryphon and a Gothic Dragon.

Nice find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • 1934ChevroletHoodOrnament.webp
    1934ChevroletHoodOrnament.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 963
Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet greg0074 :hello:

I don't think it's the Chevy logo as the wing span is not feathers.

Celtex found the match and my guess is dragon or Wyvern as suggested by Dano Sverige.

This most likely a custom rather than standard hood ornament. Cool find :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
I still think it's a swan. Never saw a dragon with a beak. But I think celtex found it. Couldn't find a duplicate Packard one so I am inclined to believe it is a "mascot" ornament often custom designed.Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I still think it's a swan. Never saw a dragon with a beak. But I think celtex found it. Couldn't find a duplicate Packard one so I am inclined to believe it is a "mascot" ornament often custom designed.Monty
Never seen a Swan with a webed wing :icon_scratch: they usually have feathers :laughing7:

Great ID Celtex and Dano :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Okay, here ya go: (It's the 6th one down)

http://ken-thornton.com/m_winged_1.html


Accessory Dragon ( #374 )
Polished Zinc ~ Franklin Die Casting Co., Inc.


Also, here is some info about the Franklin car: (click on the other link when the original page loads)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_(automobile)

Below are two 1932 Franklin cars complete with YOUR ornament. ;D

Nice find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • FranklinCar& Ornament.webp
    FranklinCar& Ornament.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 904
  • 1932Franklin.webp
    1932Franklin.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 706
Upvote 0
This is the hood ornament on a 1932 Franklin. It is the same one That is in both of Breezies pictures. I wonder if the dragon was an aftermarket accessory and never came stock on any car?
 

Attachments

  • 32-Franklin_163-Oxford_DV-08-CC_02.webp
    32-Franklin_163-Oxford_DV-08-CC_02.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 667
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
This is the hood ornament on a 1932 Franklin. It is the same one That is in both of Breezies pictures. I wonder if the dragon was an aftermarket accessory and never came stock on any car?

Or a variation. :dontknow: But at least we do know what the ornament is, who made it, and facts about the company, and they made Franklin automobiles. It's a super neat find, and I feel sure someone who had a Franklin car would pay some $$$ for it. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Excellent research Breezie. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Great ID :hello2:

Green check :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Breezie and to everyone who contributed.. This is an amazing website with great contributors. It looks like it was cast by the Franklin Company and we'll assume it was not standard issue. Now the next question is do I try to clean it up? If so how. That is probably a question for another part of the forum.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom