What's new

clay figurine or doll ?

rockman0_12

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
99
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Hello Folks,
This figure is 7 inches tall and was found in S.W. Missouri. A farmer found it on his property. It's made from fired clay and appears to have some red and black paint remaining. It rattles when you shake it. Any ideas on it's age and or what culture made this type item? There is a pair of them almost identical to this on ebay right now. I hope that guy on ebay knows what he's talking about ;D
IMG_5210001.jpg

IMG_5211002.jpg

IMG_5212003.jpg

IMG_5213004.jpg

IMG_5214005.jpg

IMG_5215006.jpg
 
It reminds me of a little figure that I see when we go to the Japanese Shogun resteraunt. The cook will fill the little figure up with water and set it on the side of the grill, and when the water gets hot inside of him, he starts to pee.......at you. The kids get a big kick out of that.
 
Upvote 0
looks old,is his property by these rivers? also look up local tribes for the area...Fall and handena indians :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • missouri map.webp
    missouri map.webp
    17 KB · Views: 365
  • missouri map.webp
    missouri map.webp
    17 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0
i think it is hopewell adena...or someone closely influenced...not as ornate as most...so maybe an outlier...
ceremonial rattle? but, without the detail of most hopewell...maybe a kids toy?
 
Upvote 0
Native American kachina(sp?) or older?
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Maybe part of 7 circle of friends.

Tony
 

Attachments

  • santana_2048_48792228.gif
    santana_2048_48792228.gif
    42.2 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
Tony,
Haven't heard from you for awhile. Glad to see you're still here!
Scott
 
Upvote 0
what an exciting find! keep us informed when you find exactly what it is.
 
Upvote 0
Can you give us the eBay link?
 
Upvote 0
Angelo said:
Maybe part of 7 circle of friends.

Tony

Thank you Tony,
I do believe you are correct. I've never heard of the 7 circle of friends. Based on the facial features and the positioning
of the broken arms on mine it makes good sense.
If you have more info or links to such on the 7 circle of friends please post.
Thank you !
 
Upvote 0
I hope it pans out to be something great...I thought when tony posted that pic it looks alot like that.You can almost see one of the other indians hands/arms stuck to his back...I would keep up the search at the site...
 
Upvote 0
Update, I emailed the guy with the pair listed on ebay along with pictures of my figure and here is a copy of his response. Interesting.

"I actually know what yours is. It is what my wife thought my dolls were at first. Yours is one of a set of 5-9 dolls that were conected in a ring/circle "hugging" each other. They are call friendship rings. I have a complete set in my collection. I will send pics later to show you what I am talking about so you can see what a complete set looks like. I would bet that there are 4-8 more dolls somewhere on that farm in MO. Your right the ones I have on auction do look similar to the "friendship type" of dolls but they have some small differences. One difference is the hole in the belly, as appears on your doll . On the complete friendship ring I own this hole appears on every other doll. There are 7 dolls in all on my complete set.This hole does not appear on the auction set on the belly, as is common with friendship rings. However, both dolls do have a hole between the legs which is not were it would be if these were friendship dolls. The holes were to keep them from bursting when fired. Also, the feet on my auction set are flared or hoofed and the facial features are flat. On the complete set of 7 the facial features are pronnounced like your doll. And finally, the ones I have on auction were not connected to any more dolls. They were only connected to each other making them unique. Both sets of dolls I own came from the same area of East, Texas. The set of 7 I own were aquried in a similar fashion as your doll. A farmer was chasing his horse and triped over the head of one of the dolls that was sticking out of the ground. He dugg them up. Much later I found my dolls and a friend of mine said he knew were some were just like them. So, he bought them from the farmers wife and brought them to me. I believe this set to be early 1900 to late 1800. I have not found very many examples of these type of dolls in my reasearch but finding them in patures and on farms seems to be the most common place they are found. I had never seen another even close to mine until an archelogist came to my house to see my dolls that I have on auction. It took him a week to email me pictures. He said that the ones on auction were not friendship ring dolls but thats as close a he could get to an example.
Larry "
 
Upvote 0
Glad I could help, and here's some more examples.

http://www.rockcandles.com/large-circle-of-friends-6-friend.html

Tony

UPDATE: About 6 years ago I was in the process of redoing the house in a Southwestern style and was able to find the Circle of friends in a local store. After doing a little research back then, I found, and as I recall, the Circle of friends were also found to be representative in the Yukon Territory, ( reason I remembered is that it struck me odd that they would be in that area as the appeared to be Southwestern) so I'm sure that the meaning and the statues were, at one time being used through out the Native Americans lands. Fairly sure that they have been around for centuries.

Will keep searching for the history,

Best of luck.

Tony
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom