What's new

Clay Thimble Looking Thing!?!

swizzle

Sr. Member
Joined
May 3, 2003
Messages
457
Reaction score
94
Golden Thread
0
Location
upstate ny
Its about 1 and a quarter inches across, and 1 and 3/8th inches tall. Its clay or ceramic and it has a hole in the end. So what is it? Swiz
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5099.webp
    IMG_5099.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_5102.webp
    IMG_5102.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 431
looks like an old ceremic or Porcelain Light Socket
 
Upvote 0
I think its a bit small for a bell unless its for something like a doll house. That kinda makes me wonder if it could have been the clapper, (I think that's what its called), inside a small bell. I think it could be either. I'm gonna let this float about for another day to see if anyone else agrees or disagrees and then give 'er the old green check mark. Swiz
 
Upvote 0
It be one of those clay bells that are in wind chimes; some of those are that small. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
As Breezie said and from the link I gave you...

Maybe is a wind chime -very light sounding tone.

Measures 2 tall x 2 base diameter.

A tad bigger but very close to your measurements. :wink:

Paul
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
It be one of those clay bells that are in wind chimes; some of those are that small. Breezie

Something like this...
 

Attachments

  • bellchimes.gif
    bellchimes.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0
PChammer said:
As Breezie said and from the link I gave you...

Maybe is a wind chime -very light sounding tone.

Measures 2 tall x 2 base diameter.

A tad bigger but very close to your measurements. :wink:

Paul

Paul, sorry, I didn't follow your link before I posted, but YES I think it is one of those little windchime bells. Great pic DaRoofa. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
:dontknow:

I'm thinking small thermal insulator... toaster, electric heater....

:dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Paul, sorry, I didn't follow your link before I posted, but YES I think it is one of those little windchime bells

Not at all! I was just backing up your statement and you know your stuff :icon_thumleft:

not very pretty on the outside for a bell chime, but it could have been a slow seller

A lot of those were meant to be hand painted and it might have been hand made or discarded due to not being such a looker.
 
Upvote 0
I'm gonna green check this puppy. This one may have had a small wreath of fake flowers around it and that would explain the base of it looking like a little mini shelf. Its also possible that it was painted but 80 years in the ground took the paint back off of it. The dump I found this in dates to between 1870-1930. I say its a wind chime bell and its solved. Thanx guys and gurlz. Swiz
 
Upvote 0
It contained a flat round porcelain item and a shaft that went to the top, some has a finished casing and some have an aluminum cover. Have not found a photo yet. Have found both dump digging.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom