Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Recently I recovered 3 early hoes at a colonial site I've been working, and restoration work on 2 has been completed while a 3rd is still in the electrolysis tank. The 18th century broad hoe cleaned up very nicely although I had to enlist the assistance of a dremel tool and file to get some of the deep, stubborn corrosion removed. The older grubbing hoe was a very difficult job due to its poor original condition, and did not have as nice of a result as I was hoping for. These hoes, one of the most common iron artifacts to be found at colonial sites, are fun to find and restore. I'll post up the 3rd example later, but it may take a while. Before and after photos of the first 2 are shown below.

Attachments

• hoes before.jpg
    hoes before.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 145
  • hoes after.jpg
    hoes after.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 136
Upvote 31
Excellent job Bill, those turned out great. Haven't been on here in a few days and I'm glad I didn't miss this one. I hope to see a grubbing hoe sticking out of the dirt one day... really like those.

I think those look great Bill, nice resto!

Brad has been spoiling me by processing my iron. I really need to better learn electrolysis. Found a great pair of iron scissors and some other iron I'm hoping to make pretty. Great post

Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back