What's new

"Cleaned" tag...follow up on "Tag and V" post of 08-16

PlzBSeated

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2014
Messages
503
Reaction score
4,934
Golden Thread
1
Location
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing to show for my efforts today. It happens.:tongue3:

So I took CurbDiggerCarl's and Erik in NJ's advice to try and clean the tag I posted on 08-16. Boiled away 16 oz of hydrogen peroxide and vigorously scrubbed the tag with a brass brush. Didn't turn out perfect...but definitely good enough to get an ID.

081515CleanedTag.webp

Tag comes from an opera house as I suspected. C & C Opera House...a little hard to read but at the bottom of the tag "Keeler". This is what excites me. C & C Opera House of Keeler, Michigan. I would never have thought of Keeler as being enough of a cultural center to host an opera house. It barely qualifies as a four corners today. Tag was found about 6 miles from Keeler.

Good luck and HH!

PBS
 
Upvote 12
Very awesome find! And it turned out really nice
 
I think it came out great!! Looks like it unfortunately got hit by a plow or lawnmower somewhere along the way, but still a wonderfully historic find--perhaps one of a kind! I have never seen a tag from an opera house before! I believe it says "G & C" and there may be a maker of the tag right above the slot too if you can still see it. Outstanding find and very nice job on the clean up :icon_thumright:
 
Very nicely done, , Lots of information.
Now was that a valet tag to reclaim your horse with?? lol
 
Very nicely done, , Lots of information.
Now was that a valet tag to reclaim your horse with?? lol

Probably the tag needed to valet the fat lady when she was done singing! :laughing7:
 
I think it came out great!! Looks like it unfortunately got hit by a plow or lawnmower somewhere along the way, but still a wonderfully historic find--perhaps one of a kind! I have never seen a tag from an opera house before! I believe it says "G & C" and there may be a maker of the tag right above the slot too if you can still see it. Outstanding find and very nice job on the clean up :icon_thumright:

I thought it might be G & C also, but under close scrutiny...definitely C & C. I am not able to find a maker's mark. May be on the back which is still a little rough.

PBS
 
Great piece of local history.
 
pretty cool, good job finding what sounds like a rare piece of your areas history!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom