What's new

Cleaning a Grubby Proof Coin find - After pics added

twincapes

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 w Pro performance coil, Garrett Pro-pointer
I found a 1990-S Kennedy Half Proof, kind of grubby as you can see. In the past I have rinsed one and then wiped witha soft fleece type cloth but it still left tiny scratches in the mirror proof surface. This one might have a few scratches, but its a nice frosted proof in good shape, it just has some oily type grime on it. Looking for suggestions on the best way to clean it.

Thanks in advance.

OK, I tried junkmans advice, the vinegar and water cleaned the oily goop off pretty well, then I did the dish soap light wipe and rinsed. Reverse came out nice, obv had a little more scratching than I thought, oh well yes its a clad proof. It still looks better than the photos, proofs are notoriously hard to photograph, pics never do em justice.

First 2 photos are before, last 2 are after cleaning.

thanks all.
 

Attachments

  • 1990s Obv.webp
    1990s Obv.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 527
  • 1990srev.webp
    1990srev.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 531
  • mar10 018.webp
    mar10 018.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 352
  • mar10 019.webp
    mar10 019.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 0
Re: Cleaning a Grubby Proof Coin find

This one looks to be in really bad shape from the picture. To clean it, I would suggest putting a small amount of vinegar in a cup and add a little water, just enough liquid to cover the coin. Let it soak for about an hour and then apply a few drops of dish washing liquid and rub with your thumbs. I have even soaked really dirty one overnight. I have had good results cleaning with this method in the past but it's not going to remove the scratches. Good luck.

FL Junkman
 
Re: Cleaning a Grubby Proof Coin find

I've heard mention that an acetone dip will remove fingerprints. Nothing that you can do will save your coin.
 
Re: Cleaning a Grubby Proof Coin find

Looks like a copper rim to me (near as can tell from Pic) making it a Clad Proof, if so why waste time effort; I've dumped hundreds of them in the wild myself.
 
Re: Cleaning a Grubby Proof Coin find

Definately clad because they didn't start making silver proofs till '92. I have soaked coins in vinegar to get sticky gunk off and had it start eating into the rim.
I have a '67 Ken that is a frostie that I want to clean cause it has that milky residue- any suggestions there? HH Mark
 
Re: Cleaning a Grubby Proof Coin find

Silver Stripe said:
Definately clad because they didn't start making silver proofs till '92. I have soaked coins in vinegar to get sticky gunk off and had it start eating into the rim.
I have a '67 Ken that is a frostie that I want to clean cause it has that milky residue- any suggestions there? HH Mark

I have a 1976 S Silver Clad 40% half that I found in a roll a few months back.....
 
Re: Cleaning a Grubby Proof Coin find

yes, there is also the 1970 S half silver clad

DW
 
Re: Cleaning a Grubby Proof Coin find

This ones not worth keeping even with my low standards.

Mojo
 
Once they are scratched at all they are only good for target practice!!! Unless they are silver or gold of course!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom