Detector(s) used
excaliber II
Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
common clad gets thrown in the tumbler, good coins are placed to the side for the collection

weird objects that are all encrusted I put in my home made electrolysis machine, I also place in there heavily oxidized silver items...I don't believe I would place a famous cob in there. I would leave it how it is.

Gold items that I keep I take in to have them polished. It's kind of weird that even though the piece looks as bright as the day it was lost there is still a little oxidation on pieces that have been under the water for a long time. The gold isn't the one oxidizing, it is the alloy in it.

Some items that are encrusted or oxidized I leave them how they are. It's neat to see a mercury dime with bits of shells stuck to it or a 50 cal brass case all encrusted. If it's cleaned it's just like any other item out there, it loses its character.

OP
OP
E

excal

Sep 15, 2009
w.p.b FL.
Detector(s) used
excaliber II
i know i am way ahead of myself here since i haven't found ring number one yet BUT, if i found a spanish coin i would love to have it made, to be worn. Would i then have to take it to get professionally cleaned and are places that do this kind of work that are trustworthy. for give my ignorance please. i am new and way more questions than answers.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal,

It all comes down to personal choice on whether to clean artifacts. Some pieces retain more historical and intrinsic value (... and look cooler) left as found so long as they will remain stable and not crumble to pieces... which is typically NOT the case. There are various methods to be learned and some tools/equipment, and chemicals required to properly conserve artifacts... some methods can be complicated and time intensive, but if you want to preserve your finds for a long time to come, you may want to do your homework and get what you need. I was given a dvd from a professional conservator years ago and have found this person's conservation techniques and skills to be second to none so I follow his info to the letter. If you need some info or guidance, let me know and I would be happy to share what I can with you to help you out.

As for silver cob coins... once again personal choice, but reverse electrolysis is about the best way to clean them so long as you monitor the process and don't "over cook" the coin. There are plenty of sources of info online about the Reverse Electroysis Process and how to do it properly. As for gold... well, overall it doesn't degrade in salt water unless it is in a very high action environment where the surface details may wear down, but it does not oxidize like silver or other metals. I have been told by many professional numismatists not to clean or polish gold coins... leave the natural "finish" and any coral/sea growth bits on the coins as it adds to the provenance and authenticity of the coin. (and once again... it looks cooler that way).

Well, happy hunting and hang in there... it took me 2 years before I found my first Spanish cobs. Its only a matter of time... :icon_thumright: Phips

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal,
PhipsFolly said it better then me. It's a personal choice of what you do especially for historical antique pieces. I have seen on some websites, I believe one was a university in Florida, some of the best ways to conserve a piece that has been found out in the water.

For more modern stuff, preservation will be less of a concern, especially for gold jewelry.

PhipsFolly I'm still waiting to find my first cob, maybe one day. I'm in an area where every so often they find them so maybe just maybe.....

OP
OP
E

excal

Sep 15, 2009
w.p.b FL.
Detector(s) used
excaliber II
thanks Capt. JP and phipsfoly,
i have a old railroad spike that i have been cleaning with my homemade electrolysis system i set up , to see how long it would take to clean an object. The spike looks awesome now, but i cheated a little with a brush to help knock off some rust. i wouldn't have done that with something of value. but i do realize the length of time it would take. But it would be worth it to me. I have held off buying a Spanish coin for a long time in the hopes of one day finding one of my own, I guess you could say the coin is on my personal bucket list. off to the beach on sunday evening and i am feeling lucky!! :icon_thumright:Thanks guys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread