Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 4 ounce tack hammer. Sometimes I also use a 1/2" cold chisel for tough pieces. I don't dip in oil, I boil in microcrystalline wax. Works well.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a 4 ounce tack hammer. Sometimes I also use a 1/2" cold chisel for tough pieces. I don't dip in oil, I boil in microcrystalline wax. Works well.

Well whatever works! I'm open to different opinions, but what is microcrystilline wax?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice video Rusty. Another treatment you can do once you've gotten the iron cleaned as well as you can, you can brush on a product known as Gemplers. This in my opinion is a great product that will treat the iron from the inside out stopping the rusting process. The only drawback is that it will turn the iron black, but I personally think it looks nice and makes the detail of the relics stand out more. This will help to preserve our iron relics Long after we are gone. If you think you might be interested, check out some of the Utube videos on Gemplers. I always like to point out that I am not a salesman and I am in no way affiliated with this company. I am simply a happy customer that likes passing on info that may be helpful to others that may be interested.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice video Rusty. Another treatment you can do once you've gotten the iron cleaned as well as you can, you can brush on a product known as Gemplers. This in my opinion is a great product that will treat the iron from the inside out stopping the rusting process. The only drawback is that it will turn the iron black, but I personally think it looks nice and makes the detail of the relics stand out more. This will help to preserve our iron relics Long after we are gone. If you think you might be interested, check out some of the Utube videos on Gemplers. I always like to point out that I am not a salesman and I am in no way affiliated with this company. I am simply a happy customer that likes passing on info that may be helpful to others that may be interested.

I think I's like to try that. Where can I find it?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Microcrystalline wax can be had on the net or an arts and crafts store. I'm (I think) a higher grade of wax than candle wax.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I's like to try that. Where can I find it?
Just go online and Google Gemplers. I had to order it online because no stores in our area carried it.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty, watch a few of the videos on this product if you haven't already. There are some good videos on this product and the application. If you give this a try let me know what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you decide to give it a try.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty, watch a few of the videos on this product if you haven't already. There are some good videos on this product and the application. If you give this a try let me know what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you decide to give it a try.

Will do!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread