Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever tried cleaning plates with hydrogen peroxide?? I am afraid to try it but one the other hand I bet a couple would come out really good looking.

I use hydrogen peroxide on coins and I love how they come out. It works well. My fear is that the disintegrating lead on the back of the plates will all fall off with the hydrogen peroxide doing its thing.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never heard of that technique soo wouldn't want to try it unless you know it won't hurt the lead. The best technique for cleaning a plate I've found is to wash it free of dirt as much as you can and let it dry,do not scrub it lest you scratch the brass. Then lightly coat the plate with some olive oil and wipe off the excess and let it dry. You don't want the plate super shiny looking,the natural patina of brass aged is what makes them have the look they should have. Super duper cleaning can hurt the value.

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't mess with them R.V,some times it is best to just leave well enough alone.I have kicked myself in the but a few times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread