BigWaveDave
Gold Member
- Joined
- Nov 22, 2013
- Messages
- 9,947
- Reaction score
- 19,963
- Golden Thread
- 3
- Location
- Mountain Maryland
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
.My gripe with and questions for the don't clean or send it to a pro crowd: how much is it worth uncleaned and how much does it cost to clean? Caked in mud the coin is worth nothing for sure. A pro cleaning may cost far more than the coin is worth to a collector. Unless we're talking about an extremely rare coin or a personal memento for our collection; I don't see the worth in it.
I guess it depends on the coin, I have no intentions of ever finding a key-date valuable coin, so I tend not to worry about it.
Tarn-x will cause silver to tarnish even more later. Tarn-x makes your silver smell like death and its impossible to get rid of. Tarn-x is an acid and it eats away layers of metal that's how it gets so shinny. Its horrible for coins and other silver.
Toothpaste works good but its corrosive and can put hairline scratches on it. Electrolysis is best cause nothing but electricity touches the actual coin. However if you over cook an item it can get pitted or damaged too. You can make a lesser type of electrolysis with just foil, hot water, and baking soda. 









